What kind of bunny this is

To be sure if it is a buck or a doe, you should check. Turn your rabbit over by supporting the rump with your hand and keeping the head in place with your othet hand. Them use the hand that was supporting the rump to check the rabbit's gender. The rabbit's weight should be supported by a table or your lap. Watch a YouTube tutorial first, to get the feel of it. By the way, i think the bunny in question may be an English Spot. He or she looks a little small for a Checkered Giant, but could be, if the bunny is a baby.

By the way, i think the bunny in question may be an English Spot. He or she looks a little small for a Checkered Giant, but could be, if the bunny is a baby.
*sigh* I knew it was coming . . . .
he.gif

Anybody who knows what an English Spot looks like, knows that is NOT an English Spot. The shape of the head is wrong, the shape of the ears is wrong, the shape of the body is wrong, the length of the limbs is wrong, the length of the coat is wrong, the pattern is all wrong; the only thing the rabbits in those pictures have in common with English Spots is one copy of a spotting gene.

THIS is an English Spot:

You say, "hey, wait a minute - that rabbit isn't spotted!" No, but everything else is right, including his pedigree. He was born without spots, which happens a lot. He may not be showable, because he lacks spots, but he is still a pedigreed English Spot. To anyone who knows what they look like, it's all there, the only thing missing is the spots - there's a lot more to a rabbit breed than just a few markings.

Trick question: which is this, an English Spot or a Checkered Giant?

(Answer - neither, it's a Mini Rex!)

Sorry to go off on you, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. People see a few spots, and they immediately bring up marked breeds, without taking in the rest of the picture. I once saw a Holland Lop - a really good one - identified as "part English Spot" because it was a broken and had a butterfly nose marking.

Last edited:
I never said he/she was purebred. There are millions of grade rabbits with all sorts of rabbit breeds in them. If the rabbit in question is part English Spot, his markings and body form are horrible. I have bunnies that are a Rhilander/New Zealand/English Spot mutts. The only way you can figure out the breeds within the rabbit is looking at the breed standards and comparing the rabbits favorable points. Of course, the bottom rabbit was a Mini Rex. The Rex fur is totally different than any other fur in the fancy.

Yeah, I was thinking that it looked young, but not very young, like it hadn't far to go to reach its adult size. 

Your rabbit is a cute little mutt. It might be the result of only a two-way mix like Mini Rex and Holland Lop, or it could be a blend of several small breeds. But I think we can pretty safely eliminate Checkered Giant as being a participant in that particular gene pool.

@Weehopper
 - what you said reinforces what I was saying. There are lots of folks that breed meat-type rabbits and mix 'em up or keep them purebreds but may not even know there are such things as rabbit shows. And there are lots of folks who breed smaller rabbits with an eye toward selling as pets, who have no interest in showing. Either of these groups might be selling at a flea market or auction or something where you might not be sure about what you were getting.  But since the Checkered Giant doesn't fit either of those categories, it's pretty unlikely that someone who isn't at least somewhat interested in showing would even have one, and if they did, they most likely had to go looking for a breeder to find it, so they would know what they had. I suppose you could turn one up in a rescue, but that would probably be a mature animal. 

@silly4buttons
 What you are describing might have been a head injury, but it sounds an awful lot like an episode of wry neck. 

https://barbibrownsbunnies.com/wryneck/

Some rabbits die from this condition, some don't recover, and some seem to recover completely. However, if a rabbit has done this once, any time it experiences a stress, it can happen again. I strongly advise you to start your rabbits on a prevention program,
thank you for helping me. It is a cutie pie I just love those big ears

Sorry about my apparent misconception. I breed Dutch, not English Spots.
I'm sorry to be so cranky. But like I said, I've seen it a lot, and it's getting a bit old (or maybe, I'm getting a bit old!)
roll.png

Back in the dawn of time, I started with Dutch; I still think they are a really handsome breed. Then I moved on to chasing near impossibilities - the Harlequin.
th.gif

But mentioning Dutch, have you ever seen one of these identified as a Dutch?

Yes. ALL THE TIME. Everyone seems to think all rabbits that are black and white are Dutch, or that other Dutch varities, such as Tortoishell or Steel, arent Dutch. I feel ya.

I'm sorry to be so cranky. But like I said, I've seen it a lot, and it's getting a bit old (or maybe, I'm getting a bit old!):rolleyes: Back in the dawn of time, I started with Dutch; I still think they are a really handsome breed. Then I moved on to chasing near impossibilities - the Harlequin.:th But mentioning Dutch, have you ever seen one of these identified as a Dutch?
what a cutie I had one very similar his name was sniffy

Back
Top Bottom