What kind of cat is this? Such a beauty I must get one! Pic heavy

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
This cat belongs to a friend of a Mexican actor/gymnastics coach. And I must say, what a beautiful cat! I really love the shape and the tail! The color too! I really know nothing on the cat because the friend doesn't speak english, but the cat and it's owner live in Mexico City, Mexico. Also the cat's name is Petunio. Maybe it's a Mexican breed? I do plan to get a cat one day in my life and I would love for it to be one of these. Whatever this cat is. And if it's a mutt tell me the recipe! I will search every rescue shelter, pound, and if I must newspaper ad in my state for such a beauty. So cute as a kitten too!
Okay so there are current pics of the cat, young adult, and kitten in no particular order. Any help on what kind of cat it is would be fabulous! (and yes I know these are good photos, the owner does photography as a hobby)

I don't know a lot about cat breeds, but he's beautiful, whatever he is. I had a short haired light orange tabby cat with very faint stripes, his name was Pete, and the face and eyes of this cat remind me a lot of him
love.gif

My one cat color-wise looks very similar to this, but with darker stripes and a bit less white.
The one pictured here to me looks like a mix, but I don't know much about cat breeds so I could be wrong!

Looks like an orange tabby domestic short hair, possibly mixed with a little bit of a long hair breed judging from the length of the hair on the tail. You should not have any problem finding one very similar to that to rescue from a shelter! We got cats that looked like that at the rescue where I volunteered quite often. Some tabby cats have more white than others.

However, with cats most of the times it is the personality of the cat that has to win you over! We had some gorgeous cats at the rescue with absolutely terrible personalities!

Last edited:
Yeah that's why I like to get kittens... I try to get animals young to raise em' friendly with people and other animals. Sigh, tis such a pretty cat. The coat length, the eyes, and the tail is what made me go "ahhh". I'm not a fan of orange tabbies usually. I like black and white cats and white with light grey tabby markings.

I too am not much a fan of the orange, I like my cat though, so it's alright!
PS Moochie, your avatar is soooooo adorable!!!!!

This cat looks like a domestic shorthair or American shorthair. Watch Cats 101 on Cable and you will see. So much to learn!!

Looks like a mix/dom shorthair rather than a breed. I've seen a few just like this cutie in the shelters. :) Try checking out Turkish Vans for a similar tail type. Check out Javanese for pure tail elegance. Sure others have suggestions on the tail. What other features really grab you on this cat?

Cats of a mixed background can really be stunners. We thought this guy would turn out hideous (he was really sick when we adopted him, couldn't even open his crusty eyes and was all matted...he was pretty gross looking), but wow! He cleaned up well:

It seems likely he has some persian in him (can't really see in these, but he has a really flat face).

That said, if someone made me choose between my two cats, I'd pick my plain little black cat in a heartbeat. She is dog-loyal, and very smart (does tricks). This guy would be happy in any quiet home. He has CH, and it took him a long time to really recognize us. He seems to have some learning issues. Point is, if going with a purebred, make sure to look at the general temperament too. For example, one friend found the gorgeous angoras to be a nightmare, and has since found the only breed she'll own are ragdolls.

EDIT: Apparently there is a "Mexican domestic cat" or "Mexican cat" which appears to be described as an 'indigenous', 'natural' breed (so, probably pretty variable). Hard to find photos though:
http://www.letocar.com/en/mexicano-domestico/

Last edited:
My guess domestic medium hair. My mom has one that looks similar, but he's short haired, his name is Dyson.

Back
Top Bottom