1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by casiphia, Nov 24, 2015.

1. casiphia

casiphia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    My daughter ordered a variety of chickens but doesn't know what they are. Three of them I'm pretty sure what they are and maybe the fourth. But this one has me curious. She doesn't really have a comb or a waddle. She is unique compared to the other four. Here's a couple of pictures. I would appreciate the help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SamCox

SamCox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    She looks quite broad in the chest my guess would be that its an Indian Game

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you're in the U.S. that's Dark Cornish. If you're somewhere else in the world it's called an Indian Game. Same breed, but different names for different countries. And it's definitely a pullet.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Dark Cornish pullet. They're not stellar egg layers, but they're good foragers and supposed to make great broody momma hens.

5. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    Can anyone tell me what breeds..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The first looks like an Easter Egger. The others look like Old English Game Bantams.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on junebuggena's post.

9. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    I thought the top was eracauna

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Araucana are rumpless, meaning they are missing a few vertebrae that form the rump. Your's looks like she's just molting her tail feathers. They also do not have muffs, ever. Araucana have tufts, which is an entirely different facial feathering.
    Ameraucana do have muffs, but only come in a few colors, and always have white skin with a 'slate' wash on their legs. Your's has yellowish legs, and isn't one of the recognized color varieties for Ameraucana.
    Easter Eggers usually resemble Ameraucana, but don't meet the requirements for the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by