What kind of chicken should I get?

Whitney13

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Malvern, AR
Okay I just sold 9 of my 10 Sumatra hens, I am giving my two EEs away, and I am getting rid of my rooster somehow. That leaves me with one sumatra hen. I love sumatras but they are just not the breed for me with the exception being vulture my last hen. I would like to order more chicks soon so they will be old enough to put out with Vulture when I give my other three birds away so she won't be lonely. Here are some of the requirements for my future chickens:
1. They have to go broody sometimes and be able to raise their own babies. I want babies in the future but I do not want to go through the brooder in my bedroom thing again after this time.
sickbyc.gif

2. They have to do well in confinement. I have a pretty large pen. The chicken house is 12ft. x 12ft. and the pen is 24ft. by 18ft. I would like to expand in the future, maybe a couple of small pens and a tractor or two?
hide.gif

3. They have to be pretty small as to not eat me out of house and home. I am a full time student and I will only be working part time this semester and I have a dog and two horses to feed too.
barnie.gif

4. They have to have the adorable factor. That means some random color like a russian orlov, feather legs like d'uccles, or a funny top knot like a spitz has. Something that makes them unique and adorable all at the same time.
jumpy.gif

5. They have to grow large enough that they cannot squeeze through the holes in the 2" poultry netting that I used to build the pen. I know it wasn't the best choice but I am on a budget and it was better than nothing at the time. Evil neighbors is all I have to say.
somad.gif

6. The roosters have to be somewhat friendly. I have a bunch of kids that like to help me feed my chickens.
yippiechickie.gif

That is pretty much all I need in a chicken. I don't care how many eggs I get as I give the majority of mine away and I can be somewhat flexible with #3.
Any ideas would help and if you have experience with the breed feel free to tell me all about them.
big_smile.png

EDIT
7. The adults have to be able to protect the young too. We have a lot of black snakes around here.

Last edited:
Get a cat......just kidding.

I have speckled sussex and silver laced wyandottes. They are good looking breeds and are very friendly, especially the sussex. They are noted to be decent broodies. They bear confinement well. They're not too noisy either. They are standard sized birds but I believe you can get both in bantam sizes with the bantam wyandottes being easier to find.

I was looking at speckled sussexes before I bought my sumatras. I will give them another look.
I am not sure silkies are the birds for me. I'm not big on fluffy things.

I was actually considering bantam cochins this morning. There are so many breeds to choose from, how is a person supposed to pick?
barnie.gif

Quote:
X 2. Cochins! The come in either bantam or standard size and some pretty colors. Silkies wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

I wouldn't worry about the chickens getting out of your fencing...but I might worry about snakes and rats getting in and eating the eggs and hatchlings.

I wouldn't worry about the chickens getting out of your fencing...but I might worry about snakes and rats getting in and eating the eggs and hatchlings.

That is another good point. I will have to add one more thing to the list.​

Back
Top Bottom