what kind of chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by firepatrol911, Apr 4, 2009.

1. firepatrol911

firepatrol911 New Egg

Mar 8, 2009
    im getting buff orpingtons and im looking to get about four more but i want 4 more that will get along with the buffs. what chicken will get along with the buffs?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Our girls are pretty laid back, we have Jersey Giants in with them. Just remember that they will have a pecking order so don't be surprised to see a few squabbles here and there. Also, make sure you quarentine for at least 2 weeks for bio-security purposes. If at all possible, I would try putting them in a seperate but visible pen close to the buffs to get them used to the idea of other chickens being there (after the quarentine period). Hope this helps!

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

The kind with feathers and goes "bawk bawk...." [​IMG]

4. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Try Black Australorps, similar in size, good contrasting color, and same temperment. Also maybe a Wyandott or a Rock. [​IMG]

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    You might try Australorps.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We only have 1 Buff Orpington hen. Her best friend is Mary, our Columbian Wyandotte.

Here they do their Patty & Cathy impersonation from the Patty Duke show... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    Barred rock are good natured and will be similar in size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by