What kind of chickens are best for me?

gtighe

Chirping
May 21, 2018
I want 6-8 chickens. I mainly want them for egg production but maybe one or two bantams. I also want them to be relatively calm. I want more than one breed so if you could, give a few examples. Thanks :)

Wyandottes are good layers of medium to large light brown/tan eggs, friendly, good in confinement, and good foragers.

How many eggs are you wanting? Do you want enough to be able to sell regularly, or just to supply the amount you're going to eat? Mine are primarily pets, but egg-wise, I only care if they're laying enough eggs for me and two other people to eat. Half of mine are bantams, mostly d'Uccle mixes, and considered poor layers, and then I've got four seven-month-old pullets (Orpington, barred rock, Easter Egger, BSL) and between these, I've got more than enough eggs for my personal use. I often have to give a dozen or two away. I've got probably six dozen in my fridge right now, and I eat eggs every day.

If you're seeking personal use, you could probably get away with six to eight hens of any breed you wanted -- keeping in mind that a bantam egg is 1/2 or 1/3 the size of a big egg.

I adore my pure d'Uccle, she's a total sweetheart. My little Rosecomb/Cochin mix is pretty docile, but she stays broody 24/7, so she's not the best egg layer. I love all of my big pullets, especially the barred rock and the Orpington.

The friendliest chickens I've ever had are my barred rock, a Cornish cross I used to have (not good egg layers though, and often die of a heart attack at less than a year old), and a Leghorn mix. Incredibly friendly birds.

Back
Top Bottom