What kind of chickens are these?

primal woman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 11, 2010
Oregon
They are pure breeds and the eggs came from a hatchery. But I got the chicks from someone else. She bought the eggs of unknown breeds. Is the black hen (with some brownish streaks in neck) an Australorp? what about this rooster? Thanks.

Australorps are pure black, with straight combs. Sex links have brown/red/gold at the throat or neck, they also have straight combs and the shape is wrong for most sex links, esp from a hatchery.

I don't think they're purebred, esp that rooster. The color's all over the place, the rose comb and the dark legs just don't add up to any breed I can recall. Remember, folks don't always tell the truth when they sell birds
sad.png

I'm with the others. Those don't add up to any breed I've ever seen. Did she tell you which hatchery? If so, then you should be able to look on their online catalog and see if there are any chickens that match yours.

I tried finding them on their web site and I couldn't figure it out. I had emailed her back in March when I was getting the chicks as to where they came from. copy/pasted is what she said.
"I ordered an egg assortment from a hatchery in Ohio. They give you a list of what you could get—RR reds, New Hampshires, buff orpingtons, leghorns, Wyandottes and a few others."

I'm not real impressed with them except the hens are pretty and being black they'll not be as apt to get taken by a hawk. But at almost 8 months, there has never been a 'crow' or an egg. I have another lighter colored but with similar 'pattern' as this rooster as well. And with them I also got two other breeds, but it was these 3 black hens and those 2 roosters that I can't seem to figure out.

I appreciate the dedicated chicken forum people for giving me a place to come and get an answer. It has been awhile since I perused this forum. I was into pure Cornish as well as raising my Cornish cross broilers. And I'm pretty satisfied with my knowledge there and went elsewhere with my hobbies! I have one pure dark cornish hen who incidentally has never laid an egg either. I think this has to do with free range in Oregon...it does NOT work! At least at my place it doesn't. But what DOES work is letting Cornish cross broilers free range and living to an age where everyone tells me it is impossible! ha. But alas, my 2.5 year old Cornish cross hen was killed by my dog this summer. I wanted to see how long she lived. I have butchered many of her 'kids' and they grew just as healthy and meaty as the hatchery chicks. I got off on a tangent here. But thanks.

Anxious for more answers on these free loaders..I mean free range unknown breed chickens which are maybe ending up being mutts.

I tried finding them on their web site and I couldn't figure it out. I had emailed her back in March when I was getting the chicks as to where they came from. copy/pasted is what she said.
"I ordered an egg assortment from a hatchery in Ohio. They give you a list of what you could get—RR reds, New Hampshires, buff orpingtons, leghorns, Wyandottes and a few others."
I'm not sure what hatchery this could be. The two big hatcheries here in Ohio are Mt. Healthy and Meyer.
Mt. Healthy: http://www.mthealthy.com/
Meyer: http://www.mthealthy.com/

I use Meyer quite a bit, and they are a very large and well-run hatchery. I don't think it's them, because they'd have you look on their extensive website, not send you a list. And they carry quite a few breeds of chickens, so that doesn't sound like them, either. However, they have outstanding customer service, so if you called them up and told them what happened, I'm sure they'd either let you know if the whole "order from a list" thing sounds like them and/or take a look at an emailed photo and let you know if that's one of their birds.

Mt. Healthy doesn't seem quite as... professional as Meyer. Poor website, etc. I know that they deal more with large orders for stores than with individual customers, however. If you've purchase chicks from TSC and you are reasonably near to Cincinnati, Ohio, for example, they came from Mt. Healthy. Mt. Healthy is often the hatchery of choice for feed stores, too. I've only had Mt. Healthy chicks from TSC, and frankly, I haven't been super impressed with their stock. But they might be the place... maybe you could email them a photo of that rose-combed black hen and ask?

There is also a smaller hatchery called Ridgeway Hatchery in the state. I know literally NOTHING about them, but they do have a smaller selection of birds and might also be the place. http://www.ridgwayhatchery.com/

Finally, there are these folks. Again, I know literally nothing about them, so my advice on them would be the same as Ridgeway. http://www.healthychicksandmore.com/

Good luck, and if you find out that this is indeed a hatchery's version of a breed, be sure to update us and let us know. I'm always interested in peoples' thoughts about the stock from different hatcheries.

Last edited:
You put a lot into this answer. Gosh. Thanks. I'm satisfied enough to know that I guess I was not so dumb after all since I too could not figure out what they were! Anyway, they are worthless as far as I'm concerned given age and no eggs/crowing. Thanks so much for all the input.
I don't want to ask the lady again where she got them. I asked once and 'from Ohio hatchery' is not enough, but for some people they think it is enough!

Back
Top Bottom