What kind of chickens are these?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cloverchick, Feb 1, 2014.

1. cloverchick

cloverchick New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    [​IMG]
    We got these chickens about 2 weeks ago. They will not stop eating. I think they are about 2 months old. I just thought they were starving to death when I first got them, because they just attack any food I give them. I think they'd eat all day, if I let them.

I try to feed them once in the morning and once in the evening. They're not leaving any for my other chickens (luckily they free range).

Will they lay? I've heard of these meat birds you have to butcher before a certain age or they will die of a heart attack. HELP!

2. Cornish cross, they are fast growing meat birds

3. No they are not for laying eggs and you are right about need to butcher at an early age;

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Where did you get them? Didn't they know if they were meat birds or not?

They could be White Plymouth Rocks. I'd think they'd be bigger if CornishX at 8 weeks old unless they are younger than that. If they are meat birds then they are designed to be slaughtered at 10 weeks or so. Depends on what and how much you feed them. People have and do keep them as pets with restricting feed and picking them up to put in coop and such but that seems like a headache to me and would rather butcher them. They will lay eggs but not as many as your layers and with extra care can live for years.

5. You do need to feed them high protein chick grower at all times.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes, those look like meat birds. They are not layers and need to be butchered early in life. You can not keep them as pets as they won't live long.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Did you know you were getting meat birds? They will literally eat themselves to death which is why they are Processed at a young age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by