What kind of chickens should I start with?

Ameraucanas are great. They're just like easter eggers but only lay blue eggs. They come in a variety of colors as well. I was pricing chicken coops and they are very expensive. I ended up buying a shed from Lowes. It was cheaper than building or buying a chicken coop. I then modified it to be a chicken coop. Added a couple nesting boxes, cut a hole in the side for them to go into their run. It was pretty simple. Still costly, but cheaper than any other method.

Thanks for all of the replies! It's very helpful. Where can I find out what my town's ordinances are about chickens? I couldn't find my town on this website.

I personally think you should incubate your eggs rather than buying day old chicks. It is a WONDERFUL experience, and it isn't like you'll use the incubator only once. After a disaster with shipped chicks from a 'good' hatchery (picked up a box of death from the post office) I decided to incubateonly. At least if something happens to the eggs in shipment, little lives didn't suffer since they are only mere few celled zygote at that point. Waiting for eggs to hatch is like Christmas!

And you have more breed choices when it comes to eggs. Certain breeds you can't get from a hatchery. You can also support smaller breeders rather than huge agribusiness, too.

To start, I would go to McMurray or Cackle or Ideal's site and I would order a big variety of pullets. McMurray has the Oriental Layers... or you could order a huge variety individually.

Get some eye candy and then see what you like the best.

Then I'd go to the Icelandic thread for the next year, purchase some hatching eggs from one of the wonderful breeders there and try some Icelandics.

You'll be happy.

WOOHOO! I talked to someone in charge and they said I can have my chickens! :) Now to find the perfect coop and wait for my friend's hens to have chicks! Thank you everyone for the great advice!

I live in eastern Iowa...we have a mixed flock and all did fine in our super hot summer and are all doing good this winter. I have ameraucanas and they are doing good here as well. I only have large breeds, so I can't say as to how bantams would do. Chickens are a lot tougher than we think!! Give them plenty of water in the summer and plenty of protien and feed during our winters here and they should be ok!! I would avoid breeds that have really large combs because they can get frost bite. As far as a coop goes, it really depends on what you are planning to have your chickens do. Our chickens are pasture raised, so our coops are just 8X10 buildings with nexting boxes and roosts we built in them. We built fresh air coops using recycled wood and steel siding. Our coops were basically free besides the nails and screws we used. Good luck in your venture!!!

Back
Top Bottom