What kind of chicks are these?

MonkeyRoo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Posted this in the wrong forum last time....
lau.gif

From what I can tell the little black cutie in the first picture is a Black Silkie, I have been researching everything trying to find out what the other ones are!! Four of the bigger ones have cheek feathers but no leg feathers, the little brown ones have leg feathers but no cheek feathers. We got them from a straight run (so far only one is trying to crow, but I have a hunch there are a few more roos) there are 11 total new chicks in the flock.

Our little roo.... (still working on a name, any suggestions are welcomed!!)

Monkey

Carol

Shake

And finally Bake

The cheek feathered ones are definitely either Ameraucanas, Easter eggers or Auracanas. They are sort of like mutts, and lay green or blue eggs and are all different colors.

Shake and Bake look like possible brahmas or cochins (if the tail is rounded, then it is a cochin), but some other breeds have feathered legs (bearded d'uccle, etc.), and I just named the two that are the most common. Sometimes its better to wait and see what they are in adulthood.

Last edited:
kranberrykat,

I was wondering if they may be Ameraucanas, Easter eggers or Auracanas! When I pulled up images in the search results all different sorts of chickens came up with cheek feathers... mutt lineage would explain my confusion! It would be neat to get multicolored eggs!! As for Shake and Bake (and two more of the same kind) they are really "fluffy feathered" for lack of a better term and have rounded tails... so Cochin? Never thought a feed supply store sold such neat chickens!! Always assumed they had Rhode Island and White Leghorn etc .. Thank you for your help!!!!
ya.gif

One more question.....do Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, and Auracanas lay consistent colored eggs? For example will one hen lay the same shade of blue/green while another hen has her own different shade of egg?

One more question.....do Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers, and Auracanas lay consistent colored eggs? For example will one hen lay the same shade of blue/green while another hen has her own different shade of egg?

Good question, I've been wondering the same thing since I have EE's. I'm assuming a chicken always lays the same color??

Cool! The most common ones are easter eggers.
And, yes, they usually lay a different color per hen- but sometimes they can be almost the exact same color. And they are medium layers, possibly laying 4-6 days out of 7, but it depends on the chicken's personality.
Cochins are bigger, sweet and cuddly! Brahmas are slightly bigger and have less of a round tail, but are still cute.
But there are other breeds like that, so keep an eye out.

Last edited:
the first 3 pics are of Easter Eggers. Araucanas are generally rumpless and tufted, and Ameraucanas only come in 8 recognised colours according to the SOP.

The last looks like a Cochin.

Exciting to watch them grow! Thank you all so much for helping me figure this out, it has been driving me crazy! Enjoying them while they are young but still anxious to see them mature
smile.png

Posted this in the wrong forum last time....
lau.gif

From what I can tell the little black cutie in the first picture is a Black Silkie, I have been researching everything trying to find out what the other ones are!! Four of the bigger ones have cheek feathers but no leg feathers, the little brown ones have leg feathers but no cheek feathers. We got them from a straight run (so far only one is trying to crow, but I have a hunch there are a few more roos) there are 11 total new chicks in the flock.

Our little roo.... (still working on a name, any suggestions are welcomed!!)

From left to right, it looks like you have a Black Silkie rooster, Easter Egger rooster, and what appears to be a Partridge Wyandotte.

Monkey

Easter Egger rooster.

Carol

Easter Egger rooster.

Shake

Does it have feathered legs? If so, then Partridge Cochin, probably cockerel.

And finally Bake

Partridge Cochin, guessing pullet for now.

Oh my! I guess next time I won't pick from the straight run haha, was not expecting the rooster to hen ratio to be so high!!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom