What kind of chicks do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rwilkinson85, Sep 24, 2014.

1. rwilkinson85

rwilkinson85 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Hello all! I am brand new to BYC :) I have two 10 day old chicks that I received for my birthday from my brother. My brother raises lots of chickens, but these didn't come from his flock. I am a first time mommy to chickens and I couldn't be more excited! The coop building is in progress! I'm hoping they are both pullets and not roos, because we live in the city and aren't allowed to have roosters...and plus I'm already in love with them! Anyway, I know it takes a while to be definite on gender, but does anyone have a suggestion as to the breed/breeds of these two? One is grayish-blue with darker (almost blue/dark gray) legs, and the other is yellow with feathers that go all the way down to the tips of the talons :) Thanks so much! Glad to have found this site and to be a part! If the pics aren't clear enough I will repost...also these were taken a few days ago...I will post some updated pics as well! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Really cute chicks! With the feathered legs, first guess on the yellow chick would be White Cochin. Does the other chick also have feathers on its legs?

3. rwilkinson85

Sep 24, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Thank you! The other chick doesn't have any feathers at all on the legs. Here are some updated pics! It's crazy how fast they grow in just a few days! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SkylineFarms

SkylineFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2014
    Northeastern Tennessee
    I don't know the breeds but with that big and red of a comb already, I'd say the gray one is going to be a roo.

5. rwilkinson85

Sep 24, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Oh what a bummer....! Won't be able to keep it if it does in fact turn out to be a roo because we live in the city...but my brother will provide a good home if I have to give him away. He raises lots of chickens with no city restrictions on roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by