What kind of dirt/sand to use for dust bath?

Seth_12

Songster
5 Years
Mar 23, 2019
I need to create a dust bathing area for my chickens. I plan on buying a kiddy pool and fill it up with dirt. The thing is I don't have any dirt available to fill it up so I need to buy the dirt. What kind of dirt is safe for them and something I can buy?

I need to create a dust bathing area for my chickens. I plan on buying a kiddy pool and fill it up with dirt. The thing is I don't have any dirt available to fill it up so I need to buy the dirt. What kind of dirt is safe for them and something I can buy?
Any bottom shelf top soil is fine. Mine really like peat moss so I mix that in too.

Is their run not on the ground?
Mine just dig their own.

I'm going to make one of these for my chicks outdoor space today. I plan on using a mix of topsoil and sand. I have also seen mention of sprinkling in diatomaceous earth - is this necessary?
No, it's not necessary. A lot of people say it helps against mites, but so does dust bathing itself. And not everyone says it works. Either way, it's optional.

Back
Top Bottom