What kind of duck did I get??

marifrag

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
Hi everyone on BYC,

Please help me figure out what I got. I bought a pair of ducklings from tractor supply. They're supposed to be khaki campbells but my drake Daquan has a white patch and was grayish as a smaller baby. His mature feathers seem to be brownish gray (they're one month) I'm wondering if khaki Campbell's can have the same white patch/pattern as a Swedish and not be mixed with a Swedish? :hmm Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3884.JPG
    IMG_3884.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3885.JPG
    IMG_3885.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 22
IMG_0949.JPG
Hi everyone on BYC,

Please help me figure out what I got. I bought a pair of ducklings from tractor supply. They're supposed to be khaki campbells but my drake Daquan has a white patch and was grayish as a smaller baby. His mature feathers seem to be brownish gray (they're one month) I'm wondering if khaki Campbell's can have the same white patch/pattern as a Swedish and not be mixed with a Swedish? :hmm Thanks
Hi, I am new so cannot post on own yet. We just found TWELVE orphaned baby ducks in a totally dangerous location. I have chickens and raised them without problem. Thankfully I have two extra coops for illness or whatever ever came our way. Please anyone help by telling me what I need for baby ducks!!!

Hi everyone on BYC,

Can you get a picture of them in natural lighting? It's very hard to see them under the heat lamp. Khakis aren't supposed to have a patch of white, no.

Hi, I am new so cannot post on own yet. We just found TWELVE orphaned baby ducks in a totally dangerous location. I have chickens and raised them without problem. Thankfully I have two extra coops for illness or whatever ever came our way. Please anyone help by telling me what I need for baby ducks!!!

Firstly, if you are in the US I just want you to be aware it's illegal for you to have them. I'm not saying you shouldn't have taken them, just that you're breaking the law if you keep them and you might want to find a wildlife rehabber to take them. They also could be carrying some really nasty diseases they could give your existing flock, so keep that in mind and make sure you are keeping them separate from your other birds.

In the meantime, they will need heat, like all baby poultry. Set them up a brooder with a heat lamp. For feed, they can eat a regular non medicated chick feed, or better yet, an all flock feed such as Flock Raiser. If you use the chick feed, you will need to add niacin to their feed as chick feed does not contain enough niacin for ducklings.

They also need access to water deep enough to submerge their beaks and their heads up to their eyes. They will make a huge mess with it, so be prepared to be cleaning out the brooder a lot. Try making a duckling waterer out of an old cottage cheese container or milk jug to cut down on the mess. Examples of them can be found in the Learning Center here.

Can you get a picture of them in natural lighting? It's very hard to see them under the heat lamp. Khakis aren't supposed to have a patch of white, no.

Firstly, if you are in the US I just want you to be aware it's illegal for you to have them. I'm not saying you shouldn't have taken them, just that you're breaking the law if you keep them and you might want to find a wildlife rehabber to take them. They also could be carrying some really nasty diseases they could give your existing flock, so keep that in mind and make sure you are keeping them separate from your other birds.

In the meantime, they will need heat, like all baby poultry. Set them up a brooder with a heat lamp. For feed, they can eat a regular non medicated chick feed, or better yet, an all flock feed such as Flock Raiser. If you use the chick feed, you will need to add niacin to their feed as chick feed does not contain enough niacin for ducklings.

They also need access to water deep enough to submerge their beaks and their heads up to their eyes. They will make a huge mess with it, so be prepared to be cleaning out the brooder a lot. Try making a duckling waterer out of an old cottage cheese container or milk jug to cut down on the mess. Examples of them can be found in the Learning Center here.

We have repeatedly contacted numerous wildlife agencies and no one has responded! We figured we would take them in until they decided to be reactive. They were found in the evening and would have Surely died overnight on their own. But I truly appreciate your concern regarding the law. After I posted this, I did a bunch of research on how this might work. Diseases, the process of trying to get my hand to take on these ducklings, Best way to keep ducks totally natural, etc. We don't plan to keep them… Our backyard has a massive but not flowing river that flows into an enormous but calm pond. At the extremely far end… A mile… There is a dam where overflow goes into the sound. The idea would be to release them as soon as they can fly and are capable of feeding them selves entirely and fending for themselves. If needed, I can even put one of our extra chicken houses at the waters edge so that they have a permanent housing arrangement. I have not heard back yet if that is advisable… Or if that is too much intervention. We have other mallards on the pond which was one of the other important requirements I read for allowing them to live in nature. I'm hopeful it works out for these Day old babies.

Hi everyone on BYC,

From what I've read, if your 'Khaki Campbell' has white in it, then it isn't pure.... Although you can't be certain which breed(s) he's mixed with.

Here's a few of him outside and the last one looking real handsome. He's looking brown now so he's probably mixed. Whatever he is we love him :love I was kinda hoping he turned out to be a Swedish

Attachments

• IMG_3896.JPG
    IMG_3896.JPG
    456.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3922.JPG
    IMG_3922.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom