What kind of duck is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cestial225, Sep 7, 2013.

1. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

I bought eggs at a farmers market and stuck half in my incubator thinking they were all chicken eggs. Well this one egg hatched a week late and it is def not a chicken lol. He is 8 weeks old now. What kind of duck is this and how do you sex a duck?

2. ZebraChicken

ZebraChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Eastern Montana
    Thats a blue swedish! I have 2 of them. Blue swedish are very hard to tell what they are. Wait until hmm i dont know 6 months or however long and if they get a curled feather (s) on there tail its a boy. :)

3. Shikoba70

Shikoba70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Looks like a Black Swedish to me[​IMG]

4. inkedlady

inkedlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent. Uk
    Looks like a black swede to me too

5. cestial225

Apr 8, 2013
    If it is a girl when will it start laying?

6. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    DEFINATELY a black swedish. I have one myself. You won't be able to tell the sex yet. If he or she is pretty quiet, chances are its a boy. If its loud, you could go with girl, but you will never know for sure until it does or doesn't start laying. I don't know when they start laying, as I have two boys.

7. cestial225

Apr 8, 2013
    This duck is crazy loud. It complains like crazy if its chicken hatch mate goes more than three feet away from him lol. I can hear his quacking over my roosters in the morning haha

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aww how sweet, do you like ducks? maybe get this one a couple friends once you find out if it's male or female but if it is quacking loud it must be a girl. Sure is pretty

9. cestial225

Apr 8, 2013
    I do like ducks but at the moment I don't have anywhere separate to keep them so this one is living with the chickens. It seems happy. If I could keep a pair of ducks with the chickens I might consider hatching another one.

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm thinking if it's quacking loudly at this age, then it's a girl, but if it's still peeping, then it's probably hard to tell what gender it is at this time. It's a black Swedish duckling.

If its a girl, then you don't have to worry about keeping it with the chickens, but you don't want to keep boy ducks with chickens.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by