What kind of duck...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crait, Jun 12, 2009.

1. crait

crait Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Hi! I don't have a picture, but last week when I was in Florida, there was a beautiful duck walking around the hotel I was staying.
    It was a big sized duck (Bigger than a standard chicken) and was mostly black. There was some white and maybe some other markings on the wing feathers and had red material on its face where its eyebrows would be if it were human. The material looked to be the same stuff that waddles and combs are made out of. Am I giving enough description for someone to figure out what kind of duck it is? It had black legs too. [​IMG] Thanks in advance!

2. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    It was a Muscovy. There is a lot of those down there. they're super sweet ducks and awesome farm pets [​IMG]

my momma just hatched 10 babies yesterday.

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Definately a muscovy. They are very nice ducks. I have 5 of them, and they are great pets!

4. crait

crait Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I was thinking that kind too but all the pictures of them I saw online don't look a thing like the one I saw. Maybe it was a mutt. [​IMG]

5. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    could have been a scovie cross, or just one with not much 'mask'.

eta: my hens have Very mild curuncles

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  6. crait

crait Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, it was too big to be young and had a little bit of 'mask.'
    I walked within like a foot of it and it was just on its way. My little brother walked around it like 10 feet away because it was on the sidewalk. Haha. He seemed really friendly.

7. I had the same thing happen to me while I was in florida over spring break........he was a muscovy, maybe a cross....he ate potato chips and let me get really close....it was outside a hotel...[​IMG]

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Muscovy - Ugh , I want one SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: