What kind of duckling did I get?

RachaelM79

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2018
5C95D82F-8121-4A95-8775-EE4AC0EE785E.jpeg
DEBA535E-1DC9-4F22-A14F-DD8F66D701BE.jpeg
6D5482CC-8358-42FA-B4C4-D4C31421D2D6.jpeg
So Hubby and I went to our local farm store yesterday to see if any new chicks came in only to find none of which we were looking for but they received ducklings. Honest to goodness I hadn’t planned on getting any ducks this year as we have a Rouen that’s currently sitting. Then I seen this little guy/gal immediately fell in love and brought it home (especially given the fact it looked different than any we’ve had before). The farm store didn’t have the ducks labeled as they only get in an assortment. They had the typical Pekin, Khaki, and Rouens and only one of this little one running around. Did I flop and just get a quirky off the wall cute looking lighter colored Rouen or is this a duck of a different feather? I’ve tried looking up and googling other types of ducks and think it may be one of possibly a few types that sort of look like it but I’m not 100% sure and it just gets me even more puzzled lol If you have any idea please help, Hubby figures we may have to just wait and see, but my curiosity is just getting the best of me!! Lol

One that comes with a 60 gallon air compressor?

Maybe a Silver Appleyard?

Lol Unfortunately no air compressor, just a sale ad I grabbed hoping it would stay on it and poop on it instead of me on the 20 mile car ride home. It had other plans instead lol

That was one of the breeds I was wondering as well

You called it a little guy. Does that mean it's small? If it was smaller than the others it could be a Mallard. It doesn't look like a SA to me; they normally have mostly yellow backs.

Did you just get the one? It's going to be awfully lonely.

(BTW @ChickenRelatedUserName that it probably the best username I've ever seen!:bow)

It’s actually normal size for a duckling. Just when the birds are babies I always refer to them as lil by default compared to our grown ones lol

It’s not our only baby atm. We already had 8 baby chicks I bought a few days prior. I even went to another farm store today and ended up walking out with 11 more chicks and 2 more ducklings lol

The duckling actually has been doing very well with our other chicks. When we got home I took out one of the chicks that’s pretty much the head chick lol and sat half an hour with them in my lap together. After getting acquainted I put them in the cage with the other chicks and the duckling has been fine since ☺️

Just thought I'd ask to make sure. Some people don't know they need buddies. Sounds like it has lots of company so that's good.

If it's regular size maybe it's a different colored Rouen. When I got my order of Saxony from Holderreads they sent me a dark phase one as an extra. I didn't even know they came in different phases. Maybe Rouens are the same or maybe it has a mutation and that's why it's a different color. The only other ducklings I can think of that have that pattern are wild breeds. They would also be little and not at a feed store. You need permits to keep them.

I think you may just have to wait and see. I hope you keep us posted with new pictures as it grows. I'm interested to see what it ends up looking like.

Just thought I'd ask to make sure. Some people don't know they need buddies. Sounds like it has lots of company so that's good.

If it's regular size maybe it's a different colored Rouen. When I got my order of Saxony from Holderreads they sent me a dark phase one as an extra. I didn't even know they came in different phases. Maybe Rouens are the same or maybe it has a mutation and that's why it's a different color. The only other ducklings I can think of that have that pattern are wild breeds. They would also be little and not at a feed store. You need permits to keep them.

I think you may just have to wait and see. I hope you keep us posted with new pictures as it grows. I'm interested to see what it ends up looking like.

I didn’t know if it were funny duckling or if it were perhaps either an Appleyard, Saxony, or even a Mascovy. If you run a google search for ducklings under those there’s a few that do come up that sorta look like it, but none that fit 100%. I was hoping perhaps a few more people would give an opinion what they may believe but like you said it may end up just having to be a wait and see kinda duck lol

The stripes by the eyes make me think it may be a lighter colored Rouen?
or maybe a Muscovy?
Keep us posted to how this baby turns out! I'm super curious now. lol

This is my dark phase Saxony and a regular color one at a couple days old. It looks similar to the dark phase but I highly doubt they would be at a feed store. They are a rarer breed and generally are more expensive. Though I wouldn't say it was impossible.
IMG_3472.JPG

You have to be careful with google searches. Even if the picture comes up it just means someone mentioned that breed name on the same page. I've googled images of certain breeds and even within the first couple lines there are pictures I know for a fact aren't that breed.

Back
Top Bottom