What kind of ducklings?

DuckyLou

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
East Texas
I was at our local feed store yesterday and they had some ducks there. I have been wanting to get some ducks for our pond, and they had some mallards (I recognized these because of having and breeding them when I was younger) but they had these black ducklings with a white chest.I asked the guy what they are and he said "Don't get me to lying, I have no idea" I thought that was a little strange, but whatever. So, I have researched and can not find out what type of they duck are.... Does anyone out there know what kind they might be?

Solid black with a white chest ducklings

Ahhh maybe so! I looked up pictures of Swedish ducklings, these looked a little more black, but I'm sure there are variations. Thanks!

Commercial hatcheries often cross the crested ducks with any breed they have, and make some interesting combinations, of color, crest size, etc...

If they are Swedish, there are blue, and black that the hatcheries sell.

That makes sense, So you think they are probably a mix then? I love all ducks except one kind, Muscovy, we had the meanest muscovy duck show up at our house when I was a kid, and he attacked us constantly! Lol. So he made me despise the breed all together! I'm sure there are nice ones out there, but this duck was traumatizing! Lol.

So I wanted to be sure they were not that breed!

(Sorry to the muscovey lovers here) Even when little Muscovey's have ugly faces. You would know.

......like this? I think this is a Swedish Duck...not sure though. It is only 3 days old. I asked my student who brought the egg and he said his Grandma had a lot of (looking at pictures of Blue Swedish Ducks) "those" ducks....and 1 mallard.

@ Jakl: Oh, ok good to know the babies have ugly faces too! lol ( i also apologize to the muscovey lovers as well)

@ Wyoangel, very similar to that picture, but really black, so I am guessing that they are black swedish. Anybody know anything good or bad about them?

The solid color with a white chest are generally Swedish, or Swedish cross. They come in a very black black and also a slate gray that can be quite dark. If you look for photos of Swedish ducks, you are probably only going to see blue Swedish, since that is the only color that can be shown.

The black Swedish have black feet.

Thanks! The black feet part helps a lot! If my memory serves me right, I do believe they had black legs and feet.

Back
Top Bottom