1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of ducks are good egglayers for laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by equine chick, Aug 24, 2007.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I want to buy some ducks in the spring. Yes i'm thinking ahead already. I want to get some ducks for laying eggs for eating and brooding ducklings. How oftern do ducks lay? What kind are the best to get? Which ones are quiet and gentle?

2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I am not a pro at ducks.. but I can tell ya that I have a Muscovy.. she lays and egg almost everyday, shes very broody (just hatched some baby chicks) and she just makes these little coooing sounds.. no quacking.. someone else might have had a different experience with them.

3. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Khacki Cambells and Muscoveys were the two best I ever had but I didn't have too many different breeds.

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    how old are they when they start to lay? I have white crested and rouens...i think they are only about 5 months old or so.

5. equine chick

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Good question. Where does everyone get their ducks, breeders or hatchery?

6. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    i got mine from a lady who lives in suburbia and raises ducklings with her kids each year until they are too big for her yard then rehomes them.

7. equine chick

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Do you have to have a body of water like a pond for them. My dh tells me they do but i did not think so. Could a big kiddie pool work?

8. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    if you are asking me...yep we have a little pond...about 6x3feet i guess.

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My runners and khakis are great layers, but my best is Miss Matilda Pekin Duck, who lays a HUGE egg every day excpet when she is molting.

Most of mine are rescues. I refuse to support the spring duckling industry anymore, nor do we allow the ducks to hatch out. Too many abused and abandoned need homes.

The ones I have gotten before they started laying began about 5 months (as far as I can tell) and about 7 for the scovy.

They have 2- 350 gallon preform ponds as well as kiddie pools for their enjoyment. [​IMG]

10. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    very cool...i guess then maybe my ducks are going to start laying soon?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by