What kind of ducks do I have??

SeraJoy

Chirping
May 22, 2017
Oregon
So we paid for khaki campbells at our local grange. I didn't think they looked right but figured I didn't know as much as the girl there so didn't argue when she picked these cuties out for us. But now they are fully feathered, they really don't look anything like khakis! So my question is, what kind of duck do I have and will they still give me eggs when they are older?? Thanks in advance!
20170614_144026.jpg

The silver one is probably blue sweedish. The other two are black sweedish. I have 3 black sweedish and I love them to death. Extremely hardy, great foragers. Don't have to clip them because they are a bigger breed. and yes they do lay every other day for me typically. But a lot of things can factor into how they lay.

So we paid for khaki campbells at our local grange. I didn't think they looked right but figured I didn't know as much as the girl there so didn't argue when she picked these cuties out for us. But now they are fully feathered, they really don't look anything like khakis! So my question is, what kind of duck do I have and will they still give me eggs when they are older?? Thanks in advance!View attachment 1042548

Also, the age they appear to be now probably 2 months or so? You most likely won't see them lay until Spring unless you have a warmer fall/winter. Ours didn't start laying until around 7-8 months but I also live in Michigan so we didn't see anything until it warmed up in January.

Also, the age they appear to be now probably 2 months or so? You most likely won't see them lay until Spring unless you have a warmer fall/winter. Ours didn't start laying until around 7-8 months but I also live in Michigan so we didn't see anything until it warmed up in January.
Yes, they are just over 8 weeks! I'm in southern Oregon, not terribly cold winters but it still gets chilly around October/November. Can I encourage laying during winter with a heat lamp in their house? And thanks for the great info! I did all my research on khakis and now I'm gonna have to start over haha.

We kept 1 heat lamp(100w I believe) in there house year round honestly. Even at 95 degrees now we have it on because ours hate the dark and we have no natural light. We do provide a fan now though for the hot nights.

Now, all I can say occasionally if it warmed up outside maybe high 40s to 50s we would see an egg. But if it dipped to low they were not really laying. I'm sure there are ways or things you can do to in courage more laying, I'm just no familiar with it because I don't use them for that :)

They probably don't need lamps because they regulate their temperature pretty well. Just from a humane perspective on my end I felt more okay going to sleep knowing if they were for some reason cold they had that option to lay under it.

Didn't mean to capitalize,but a heat lamp can cause more danger then safety and secure.Heat lamps,likely make the whole thing hot,just not as hot as being underneath it.

Back
Top Bottom