What kind of egg is this?

bec936

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me make sense of what kind of egg this is. I have several 18 week old pullets that should be starting to lay any day now. I also have a dozen straight run guinea fowl that are maybe 19 or 20 weeks. I'm by no means an expert, but everything I've read says that guineas typically won't start laying until close to a year old. I've found several eggs like this over the last couple of weeks, and have found a few in places where the chickens just aren't likely to go.

So, looking at the egg on the left (middle and right eggs are chicken eggs just for reference), would you say it's a pullet egg or guinea egg? The shell is quite thick compared to my adult hens' eggs, it's a bit speckled, and it has more of the triangular/pointy shape that reminds me of guinea eggs. Thanks!

(Edit): Here's a couple pictures with another suspect egg that I just picked up off the ground this morning. Today's egg is on the left, yesterday's in the middle, and chicken egg on the right.

Is it common for guineas to start to lay this young?

Attachments

• 20210813_091708.jpg
    20210813_091708.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210814_085947.jpg
    20210814_085947.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210814_090246.jpg
    20210814_090246.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me make sense of what kind of egg this is. I have several 18 week old pullets that should be starting to lay any day now. I also have a dozen straight run guinea fowl that are maybe 19 or 20 weeks. I'm by no means an expert, but everything I've read says that guineas typically won't start laying until close to a year old. I've found several eggs like this over the last couple of weeks, and have found a few in places where the chickens just aren't likely to go.

So, looking at the egg on the left (middle and right eggs are chicken eggs just for reference), would you say it's a pullet egg or guinea egg? The shell is quite thick compared to my adult hens' eggs, it's a bit speckled, and it has more of the triangular/pointy shape that reminds me of guinea eggs. Thanks!
The egg on the left is the right shape and texture for a guinea egg. It would help to know the dimensions, diameter and length to help decide.

The egg on the left is the right shape and texture for a guinea egg. It would help to know the dimensions, diameter and length to help decide.
Thanks for your reply! I just added 2 new pics with measurements to my original post.

Guinea egg but quite big for a first time layer. Are your guineas Jumbos?
Nope, they're all just run of the mill pearl guineas.🤷‍♀️

Edit - The larger of the two guinea(?) eggs was a double yolker.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom