Should I leave the care of the eggs to my unbroody chicken?

My silkies are separated from my other chickens because my other chickens will get them killed and yes she is kept with our other silkie rooster. Is it bad for her is she gets over mated? I don't purposely make them breed and she is the only silkie hen.
Sometimes a duo of chickens may be fine together without over mating.. despite it not *usually* being idea, individual cockerel/rooster personality matters. The term over-mating usually refers to feather damage or skin damage. It may or may not become an issue.. You might look into aprons if it does.. or adding more hens.. though sometimes the boy still has his favorites. I know you're not making him breed her.. that's just what he's gonna do as it's nature. Usually in a larger flock his affections would be spread more widely and less focused. I HAVE kept 2 roosters with 3 hens withOUT over mating.. but some have had problems with only 1 rooster and 10+ hens.. They don't read our books so in other words.. we might have to wait and see.. sorry I wasn't trying to create problems that don't exist!

I see, they've not been together with the rest of the flock and just recently separated to see if she would go broody as I was thinking (and read on other threads).. my misunderstanding, sorry.

Sometimes a duo of chickens may be fine together without over mating.. despite it not *usually* being idea, individual cockerel/rooster personality matters. The term over-mating usually refers to feather damage or skin damage. It may or may not become an issue.. You might look into aprons if it does.. or adding more hens.. though sometimes the boy still has his favorites. I know you're not making him breed her.. that's just what he's gonna do as it's nature. Usually in a larger flock his affections would be spread more widely and less focused. I HAVE kept 2 roosters with 3 hens withOUT over mating.. but some have had problems with only 1 rooster and 10+ hens.. They don't read our books so in other words.. we might have to wait and see.. sorry I wasn't trying to create problems that don't exist!

I see, they've not been together with the rest of the flock and just recently separated to see if she would go broody as I was thinking (and read on other threads).. my misunderstanding, sorry.
Thank you for your advice and no problem.

Back
Top Bottom