What kind of goat should I get?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Apr 16, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We are moving to an area that is 2.5 acres and we need weed control. We also plan on having a couple dogs, so I need to know what kind of goat is best. [​IMG]

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    one without horns! it is safer with dogs and small children. I love my saanans, milk goats. they are bigger and are very sweet and mellow.

3. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    I am partial to pygmys.....I have a small one that thinks she is a dog. She is such a snuggle bug ,loves to go for rides and helps keep the vegetation under control.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

NUBIANS! You would love them Debi. They are very sweet, fairly large, have long floppy ears, and are a bit whiny. Their milk is delicious. Lets see...on this section, Violet, MissPrissy's goat is a Nubian. Or at least a Nubian cross. Nubians often end up thinking that they are dogs, and sometimes people mistake them for dogs. The standard for the breed is dehorned, and they come in every color of the rainbow. I'll get some pics up.
    [​IMG] A Nubian doe.

[​IMG] Moonspotted doe, my fave color.

[​IMG] Moonspotted doeling.

5. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    What about some sheep? [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  7. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Whethered (neutered males) Pygmy goats [​IMG] That's the kind I want!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  8. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I agree, you need Nubians! They are very affectionate-the "Silkies of the goat world!"
    I never saw the moonspotted color before-that is beautiful! Are they pretty rare? We don't have any goats right now, but this summer, we are planning to get a couple. I would love to get that color!

9. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I love, love, love my Saanen, she is very sweet. Her baby is a Saanen/Nubian cross and he is wonderful too--everyone loves him. Good luck on your search and congrats on your new property.

FrizzleFreak---Awesome spotted goats--wow!

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    [​IMG] I love my herd. It is Sannan and Sannan/Alpine crosses we got from an Amish farm. The girl pictured is super sweet. The Amish children had spoiled her rotten already [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by