What kind of heat is good for the coop?

My buffs wintered great last year with not much insulation and not much heat, I did however use a heat lamp in the daytime about 6 foot above the nesting boxes to prevent the eggs from freezing and cracking. I use a 1 gallon electric dog dish for water and that doesn't ever freeze. On really cold days I also used a little vaseline on their combs etc.

aran and ozark - Here are some pics.. Note the small one and a big one. The small one is perfect for gallon waterers and the big one for 3 -5 gallon waterers. We have switches on ours and pretty much leave them on all day during winter, but you could just plug them into a timer as well if you know when your temps go above freezing. We use 25 watt candleabra bulbs that are enough to keep the entire base from freezing and keep water flowing.

100_3818.jpg

100_3819.jpg

Jody

Last edited:
It was my dh's invention, so I have to ask him if he will. I am technically challenged when it comes to making stuff. I tell him what we need and he builds it. He makes great candlers in a similar fashion, but with coffee tins. I'm kinda skeered of the personal page thingy too. I have no idea what to do once I get in there. lol Back at that technically challenged thing, you know. I'll see what I can figure out.

Jody

so jody you just put the lid on and then set the water on top of the cookie tin right? Doesnt the base of that cookie tin also get hot? Does it get hot enough to ignite the shavings beneath it?

Marko15- When you used the electric dog dish did you have a problem with the chickens roosting on it?? Also, did you raise it above ground? Like sitting it on bricks or blocks of wood?

For an outdoor waterer could you paint the top black and have the sun warm it. It would only have to warm it enough to keep it from freezing during the day, right? Since they are usually sleeping at night. On cloudy days you would have to check it more frequently but......

Maybe?

Tonya

Jody, I'm curious too, because I've started to make something like the cookie tin water heater. Does it keep cool enough to put near pine shavings?

Jody that is such a great idea. Im going to try to build one for my hens.
big_smile.png
Those that you buy are so expensive. That way I have more money to buy more chickens lol.

Quote:
I agree with Jody and others in this post. If you are worried about the cold remember they need to be out of drafts and have some litter to snuggle into. Also they huddle and share body heat.

Feeding the birds some cracked corn (I keep mine in the hen house in winter and offer it just before roosting time) helps to raise their body temps adding to their ability to stay warm.

I have read some research and other written materials that suggest a fully grown and feathered chicken can generate up to 8 BTU's of heat per hour per chicken. That is a lot of heat in a properly maintained housing structure.

I would not worry about the birds if they have a good house without drafts.

Think about this also - How did people raise flocks BEFORE there was electricity?

Chickens are hearty and can survive well if we remember they are naturally equiped to handle the elements providing that we, as the caretakers, do our job to help them without going overboard and actually harming them with too much of a good thing.

My chickens are among some of the most spoiled when it comes to their coop, runs, feeds, etc. I keep them healthy and they are working pets for us providing meat and eggs. There is a time when we step back and the animals have to do their taking care of themselves, too.

I was accused of being argumentative in a similar post for my views. I hope everyone will see it is passing on of good info to help protect your flocks in the long run.

I do like the water heater idea. Those things can be expensive! When the weather is bitterly cold I do hang a red heat lamp over the galvanized waterers. It is to help the water flow not really for the birds. It is set on a timer to come on during the coldest hours and to cycle off and on a few times in the night.

Back
Top Bottom