What kind of hen do you think this is?

what kind of chicken do u think my granny is? ppl on here have told me some kind of mix game fowl, but she's laying at least 6 eggs per week, sometimes 8 days straight. and the research i've done.. game fowl don't lay that good. just curious. She's not the prettiest chicken, she's had it rough I think. We got her in April, along with ten chicks she was even missin' an eye when we got her. thanks in advance

Not sure what she's mixed with, or if she may be some strain of game. My wheaten hen was a fantastic layer when she wasn't broody. I think that's where the "they're not great layers" comes from, that they go broody more often than production bred birds. If you're lucky she may raise another clutch for you this summer.

Looks like a Wheaten Game Hen to me. If she's a mix I don't see it. donrae is right, they go broody so much they get the reputation for being poor layers. But they are great lil incubators.

Last edited:
Looks like a Wheaten Game Hen to me. If she's a mix I don't see it. donrae is right, they go broody so much they get the reputation for being poor layers. But they are great lil incubators.
thank you! I think that is exactly what she is!! I looked up images and that is her to the t. Thank you so much!! I think a couple of her pullets and cockerals also look like creles, by their markings. Thanks so much for your help

Can you educate me a little? When I looked at images, the game hens that came up had more upright tails. This girl looks to have a long back and more horizontal tail set, that's what was making me think mix. My experience with game birds is pretty limited, so I'd love to learn more.

Can you educate me a little? When I looked at images, the game hens that came up had more upright tails. This girl looks to have a long back and more horizontal tail set, that's what was making me think mix. My experience with game birds is pretty limited, so I'd love to learn more.
I know you were asking someone else to educate you. I certainly can not because I am just learning myself.. but this is one of the websites I was looking at ... and also wanted to tell you that my Granny is also has some messed up feathers on the top of her tail feathers. Was like that when we got them, but besides that she looks just like these... http://oegclub.com/photographs/search

It depends on the quality of the blood line more than the breed itself. Look over some pictures of American Games. They have a more laid back tail than Old English Games.

Back
Top Bottom