What kind of incubator is best for a small batch of quail?

Quote:
WELL NOW YOU SEE PDB THAT STATEMENT SHOWS YOUR LACK OF EXPERIENCE IN THIS WORLD.... AS THE BRINSEA THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IS ACTUALLY CHEAPER THAN THE "CHEAP STYRO INCUBATOR" YOU'RE REFERRING TOO.
smile.png
AND THEIR SHIPPING TO YOU IN ORLANDO IS CHEAP AND FAST SINCE THEY ARE LOCATED IN COCOA BEACH, FL.

Ooo, good point. I'll go with the brinsea then.
wink.png

Your caps hurts my eyes too, lol.

Quote:
Just remember you get what you pay for.
smile.png

I have a hovabator 1583 and a 1588, neither of which were cheap. I assume you are referring to the LG...and like I said, you get what you pay for.

I bought my 1588 used for $150 I think, the 1583 was new for about the same price.

Quote:
Yep. Hatched 300+ Bobs in one this summer within 4 different hatchings. To make it the best it can be though, invest in a fan kit, and egg turner............and more importantly, a reliable thermometer and hygrometer. My opinion, you can have a well made incubator, but if your thermometer is not accurate and responsive, you're spinning your wheels. This could hold true for the hygrometer also, but temperature is key when it comes to a successful hatch. You will hear and read a lot of negative stuff on the LGs, and most probably have a legitimate reason to complain....dunno..........But, I guess I got lucky. It's been reliable with steady temps, and it's gotten me stocked like I wanted to be by late summer. Like you, I bought it because it was cheap, and I wanted one "right then"..
smile.png
However, I'm building a cabinet-style bator this winter, only because I want one big enough to hatch more eggs than the LG, and also be a roomy hatcher as well.

Quote:
Just remember that they can start out cheap, but if you get more into hatching you might end up buying the circulating fan ($36-45), an egg turner ($44-50), and a set of quail rails ($16-25) to improve your hatch rates. I have two that I use, one for chickens and one for quail. I like them, they work for me, but they are not as cheap as they were when I bought them. They can be finicky and you do need to run them for a day or so to stabilize the temperature, but I don't think the digital thermostat has the same tendency toward catastrophic failure that the old thermostats had. I have an older model that lives in the barn as a backup. I've never had to use it though.

Quail are pretty easy to hatch though, even in a still air incubator and turning them by hand. You would get a hatch, just probably not an optimum one.

Back
Top Bottom