What kind of incubator is best for a small batch of quail?

No, don't get a still air. Everyone says you really need the air movement and I totally agree.

I have the Hova with air and for me its fine. But all this talk makes me want to get a Brinsea and find out from JJMR how to get 90- eggs in there and turning.

So, you figure out which incubator you want - which brand and why - then you let your grandma know and let her decide how big of one she wants to get you. That's the way my kids did it and that's how my grandkids do it.

Now she could opt to get it for you early so you have time to do a few small hatches and get used to it. Then for Xmas, put some special eggs for hatching on your list. You never know about grandparents, they can be mysterious people. You may just need to let them know what your thinking. Grandparents have a tendency to make their own rules about timing. We sure do.

We'll be rooting for you.

Quote:
I know that you hatch a lot there, so the quantity issue is important. Just to clarify, for those that may not be familiar with the Brinsea Mini, though: there is a tray that holds 12 small eggs. The cost for the tray is $20. I know that's small for some folks, but for those doing smaller hatches, it can be enough.

Hint: If you are hatching button quail, you can do more than 12.

I had 15 eggs in recently. I'm thinking of putting in some more soon. I love babies...

Must finish building these cages first.
wink.png

Quote:
If your eggs are fertile Brinsea will approach 100% hatch rate.

There were multiple reports on BYC in the past Brinsea ECO hatched 100% of SHIPPED eggs.

If anybody tries to compare Brinsea to any Styrobator it is like comparing Caddy to Yugo.

Remember Yugo?

LOL

Quote:
WITHOUT THE TURNER OR QUAIL RACKS FOR THE TURNER.

ALSO IN CASE YOU MISSED IT EARLIER LG'S SUCK FOR GAMEBIRD EGGS (QUAIL ARE GAMEBIRDS) THEY HAVE AN INHERENT DESIGN FLAW--- NOT ENOUGH WATER SURFACE AREA IN THEM... SO THEY USUALLY WILL NOT GET TO AND HOLD A STEADY HIGHER HUMIDITY THAT GAMEBIRD EGGS NEED. IF YOU'RE DEADSET ON A COOLERBATOR AT LEAST GET THE HOVABATOR BRAND THEY ARE MUCH MORE SUITED TO GAMEBIRD EGGS.

Quote:
WITHOUT THE TURNER OR QUAIL RACKS FOR THE TURNER.

ALSO IN CASE YOU MISSED IT EARLIER LG'S SUCK FOR GAMEBIRD EGGS (QUAIL ARE GAMEBIRDS) THEY HAVE AN INHERENT DESIGN FLAW--- NOT ENOUGH WATER SURFACE AREA IN THEM... SO THEY USUALLY WILL NOT GET TO AND HOLD A STEADY HIGHER HUMIDITY THAT GAMEBIRD EGGS NEED. IF YOU'RE DEADSET ON A COOLERBATOR AT LEAST GET THE HOVABATOR BRAND THEY ARE MUCH MORE SUITED TO GAMEBIRD EGGS.

Yea, LG (Little Monster) is an embrio killer.

It was my first bator, sure it hatched some chicks, when I spent sleepless nights to watch for deadly temp spikes LG is famous for.

Then I used is as a hatcher sometimes. Now I use Brower TH120 as a hatcher, it makes an excellent hatcher, easy to clean, large capacity, you can see the whole action and most important it has very large surface evaporation for easy and precise humidity control, so my winning combo now is Brinsea ECO20 as a bator and TH120 as a hatcher.

Another great adventage of TH120 as a hatcher is that the fan does not blow directly downwards on eggs drying them up during hatch, but a little fan hidden under the floor blows the air gently upwards , hot air hitting the ceiling and then gentle circulating down

Back
Top Bottom