What kind of injury does this look like?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wallwall82, Sep 19, 2018.

1. wallwall82

wallwall82 Hatching

May 14, 2018
    My only rooster has had an injury on its leg for about 3 or 4 weeks now, and even with treatment it seems to be getting worse. We are putting animal first aid green goo on it and wrapping it every so often replacing that wrap. But it doesn't seem to be getting better. This is what it looks like. Does someone know what the injury may be? Is it not a cut, but instead a disease or maybe some sort of snake or spider bite?? Any help would be thankful!

20180918_201825.jpg

2. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    is there anything sharp in his coop or anything that could be sharp?because it kinda looks like he got cut on something or a dog/cat/raccoon got him.

3. Has it changed over time? How long has there been black on it? To me, it just looks like a scabbed over injury. However, if it’s progressing, I’d be concerned about cancer. Sorry to be throwing that out there.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has anyone been pecking the leg or him?

5. wallwall82

wallwall82 Hatching

May 14, 2018
    So it started off as just a small wound, its gotten very very swollen up like that over time. He cant pick at it because we cover it with first aid wrap and leave it like that. And its been black for maybe just over a week? I wasn't sure what the black was, if it was just scabbing, dried blood, or something serious like infection. Nothing in the coop to cut it on but he is free range so it could happen anywhere around accidentally im sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: