What kind of light?

derbychick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Charlestown, IN
Our chicks are coming in a few days and we're needing to set up their brooder. We naively went to Lowes thinking we'd find some kind of light-thing that could plug into an extension cord, but nothing jumped out as "the perfect chicken-raising light." What do you use? Some kind of trouble-light? I was afraid that might get too hot... thanks! I'm getting a little nervous about doing this right
smile.png

go to lowes an get you a droplight or a machanics light.you can secure it to your brooder an run a reg 60 or 75 watt lightbulb in it.

I picked up one of those clip-on lights with a reflector at Walmart. I, too, start with a 75 watt bulb and put smaller wattage bulbs in it as the chicks grow and need less heat. I also take a piece of hardware cloth and bend it around the front as a chick guard.

derbychick, Farm stores actually sell a brooder light fixture. They have a shield around the bulb, as well as a wire protector to keep the bulb from being broken, by a bird flying into it.

I use a red heat lamp bulb that helps to keep the chicks from pecking each other. White lights, while alot of folks use them create a more stressful environment in my opinion.

bigzio

Last edited:
i use a red heat lamp (250 watts) then i bougt a lamp dimmer at a hardware store so i wouldent have to move it i can dim it to 50' or have isat like 150'

Back
Top Bottom