What kind of lime do i need to dis-infect run?

foxypoproxy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Madison, CT
Long story short, i will have to cull my entire flock because it has Chronic Respiratory Disease (we think its MG but we are waiting for test results to get back).
Anyway we want to clean the run and coop as best as possible so we don't have to worry about any of the new chickens (we hatch out in the spring) getting it.
I have heard their are several types of lime and i am alittle confused on which one to get.

There won't be any chickens out there for a few months, so we don't have to worry about it effecting them.
I need to know which one will kill the disease in the soil the best.
I want this disease off my property.
he.gif

Thank you guys in advance.

I believe you want hydrated lime which is the kind that is very caustic when fresh. Nothing should disturb the area for at least a couple weeks or 3 hard rains. That's the guide I used to use when using it in my pig pens. I was probably being overly cautious, but I also never had any of my pigs burned, either. You can use ag lime, but I had heard it wasn't as effective, although it is not caustic and can be disturbed immediately. Since that is not an issue in your case I would use the hydrated stuff.

Sorry for your losses, foxypoproxy. That's a huge loss. I would do the same thing in your shoes, but that doesn't make it any easier. Sorry.

Quote:
Thank you, it was a really hard decision because we are really attached to them.
But there is no point making them suffer or keeping a contagious, life carrying disease around, especially since we also have neighbors who have chickens.
Anyway, we are just trying to move on and not dwell in it.

At least ive learned alot.

Thank you, we will try the hydrated lime.
Do you think, a month after its been put down in the run, would be safe again?
There won't be chickens out there for atleast 3 months, but i'm not sure when we are putting the lime down.
Just want to make sure i have waited long enough before i put chickens in there.

Do not forget safety. Lime is caustic you should therefore protect your eyes and skin by wearing goggles and gloves - you also should read Product Safety Sheet under Documentation with the purchase on the container. There are a number of different limes and they vary from cooking type to caustic types but of the top 5 lime is dangerous in general if not used properly. There are a number of things that become the catalyst to lime that make them stronger and there should be documentation as mentioned explaining how it reacts to water and other chemicals it is mixed with.

Very sorry for the loss of your flock. Did you find out how it happened? Was it a new birds introduced to your flock? Sorry to ask but sharing may help me and others not to make the exact mistake.

Back
Top Bottom