What kind of mites are these and why won’t they die?!?

hkijo

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2020
I posted about this a month and a half or so ago, but desperately need help!

I’m about to give up on having chickens and burning my coops if I can’t get this under control. Several weeks ago I noticed little reddish brown mites crawling all over my hands and arms when I would clean the chicken coop. At first, I didn’t see any on the birds (I’m down to two). We stripped the coop, the run (which is on concrete so it’s easy to sanitize…birds free range all day), and sprayed everything in permethrin. We dusted the birds in permethrin. Put permethrin powder in their dust bath. We repeated this 10 days later. They came back a couple of weeks later in full force, this time the birds were even more covered in mites.

We doused everything in permethrin again today, and this time I treated the hens with topical ivermectin as well. Tonight when I went to lock them up, I noticed three or four mites crawling on my hands just from closing their door. WHY ARE THEY STILL ALIVE?! Does the permethrin not kill immediately?

How in gods name do you get rid of these? And any idea what kind of mites I am dealing with if they are covering the coop and the birds? I was battling with mice building nests in my coop all winter, and finally have them evicted but I am certain that that is where these came from.

I cant touch any part of the chicken coop without getting them on me. I come inside, strip, and shower immediately, but I am so disgusted and feel like I’m crawling any time I go near the chickens.

I have a basement full of 8 new chicks to replace the ones we lost that I’m gonna have to get rid of because I cannot seem to get this under control 😫😫😫

I posted about this a month and a half or so ago, but desperately need help!

I’m about to give up on having chickens and burning my coops if I can’t get this under control. Several weeks ago I noticed little reddish brown mites crawling all over my hands and arms when I would clean the chicken coop. At first, I didn’t see any on the birds (I’m down to two). We stripped the coop, the run (which is on concrete so it’s easy to sanitize…birds free range all day), and sprayed everything in permethrin. We dusted the birds in permethrin. Put permethrin powder in their dust bath. We repeated this 10 days later. They came back a couple of weeks later in full force, this time the birds were even more covered in mites.

We doused everything in permethrin again today, and this time I treated the hens with topical ivermectin as well. Tonight when I went to lock them up, I noticed three or four mites crawling on my hands just from closing their door. WHY ARE THEY STILL ALIVE?! Does the permethrin not kill immediately?

How in gods name do you get rid of these? And any idea what kind of mites I am dealing with if they are covering the coop and the birds? I was battling with mice building nests in my coop all winter, and finally have them evicted but I am certain that that is where these came from.

I cant touch any part of the chicken coop without getting them on me. I come inside, strip, and shower immediately, but I am so disgusted and feel like I’m crawling any time I go near the chickens.

I have a basement full of 8 new chicks to replace the ones we lost that I’m gonna have to get rid of because I cannot seem to get this under control 😫😫😫
Elector PSP works better but its sold as a concentrate in a big container and is more expensive.You can buy a small amount on eBay for around $25.00

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 01-39-35 Facebook.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 01-39-35 Facebook.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 14
Exactly!! Are they NFM or something different do you think?
Im pretty sure they are called chicken mites but they seem to not die ive powdered my coops on the outside and layered the boxes on the inside with de seems to help havent seen them on the wood since or on my eggs my birds i ivermectin that gets rid of them after like two doses. I was ivermecting above their vents thats how bad it was as putting it on their neck didnt do sqwat

I feel you :eek:This was my last summer. The mites crawling on me was the thing that pushed me over the edge. I bought Mite bombs ( like flea bombs). The red mites have ea life cycle like fleas, eggs, mites more eggs millions of mites millions of eggs=dead chicken. So you have to keep at it for a minimum of 2 months to be sure that you really have it under control.

100% do not add the chicks into the mix until you have the mites under control or they will suck them dry too. My skin is crawling now!!! Yuck. I am so sorry for you.

You can check my most recent post about coop management and how to use a Flame Thrower! That has made me the happiest about this whole situation! Burn them!

I feel you
:eek:
This was my last summer. The mites crawling on me was the thing that pushed me over the edge. I bought Mite bombs ( like flea bombs). The red mites have ea life cycle like fleas, eggs, mites more eggs millions of mites millions of eggs=dead chicken. So you have to keep at it for a minimum of 2 months to be sure that you really have it under control.

I bought Baristol Animal Oil and used it to control the mites. You can wash them off but they do not die. They will be suffocated by the oil. So I oiled the chickens legs to stop them crawling up the hens. Then I also oiled the hens combs because they were there too. And I sprayed them with a liquid Citronella/Eucalyptus Horse spray.

I also oiled the water feeders and all other plastic things in the coop after washing them.

100% do not add the chicks into the mix until you have the mites under control or they will suck them dry too. My skin is crawling now!!! Yuck. I am so sorry for you.

You can check my most recent post about coop management and how to use a Flame Thrower! That has made me the happiest about this whole situation! Burn them!

Back
Top Bottom