1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of mix do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Whitepetunia, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Whitepetunia

Whitepetunia Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

I hatched this interesting looking fellow this past June. I believe that he is an Ameraucana/Polish cross, but not 100% certain. Any thoughts?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    its possible it could be a ameraucana/polish cross, the only thing that gets me is the comb....it looks like a single, but both polish or ameraucanas dont have single combs

3. Whitepetunia

May 13, 2012
    Ahh, I should post a pic of his comb from the front. He has a split comb like a Polish if you see him straight on.

4. Whitepetunia

May 13, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Here's a top view of his comb.

Also, here are some photos of a hen that came from the same batch of eggs. She's possibly the ugliest hen I've ever seen and she has a personality to match.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am scratching my head at what caused her to look like this. She hatched a gorgeous silver color. She started getting tiny patches of red around 8-10 weeks, and then around 16 weeks, the yellow feathers started coming in on her head and neck.

5. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Oh i see....i think ur original guess is right then.

as for the hen, she might not be pretty, but she looks very ameraucana

6. Whitepetunia

May 13, 2012
    Yeah, her only options are Ameraucana or Polish/Ameraucana, and she doesn't appear to have any Polish traits, but that coloring is the oddest thing ever.

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    your hen is a young roo

8. Whitepetunia

May 13, 2012
    I sure hope not, since "he's" laying eggs! :)

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    them colored feathers on the back by the tail are saddle feathers comming in

10. Whitepetunia

May 13, 2012
    All I know is that these two birds are the only two caged together. One of the two of them is laying, and I really don't think that it's that Polish X (Especially since I've heard him crow-- once)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by