What kind of paint do you use inside a new coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SueMuffin, Oct 31, 2010.

1. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm wondering if I need a special kind of paint to paint the inside of my new chicken coop? will they peck at the walls and eat the paint? will plain old house paint work? Latex or oil based paint? Thanks for any feedback.

2. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I used exterior, gloss, latex paint. I have never seen them peck at the paint.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I used exterior paint, oil based. It is easy to wash and clean up. No, the chickens do not peck at the painted walls. Anyway, mine don't.

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I suggest your going to the best paint source in your neighborhood, such as Porter Paint if you have one near you, and buying their mismatched color paint for $5 a gallon rather that $40 a gallon. You can almost always find a color the same as or close to the color you want, and the store is glad to be rid of their mistakes. Also, Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes stores have their mistaken color paint for $5 gallon and the choices of paint, stain, latex, oil, etc. at give-away prices. These paint colors are good enough for a hen house.

5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    No need for special paint. Any leftover paint, or "oops" paint on sale from the paint store/department, will work. I used interior latex paint for bathrooms inside my coop because we way overestimated how much we needed when we remodeled our bathroom and I had a ton left over. The important thing, no matter what kind of paint you use, is to make sure the paint has had time to dry, and preferably cure, before putting the chickens in the coop.

6. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Prep is the key to any paint job. Use a good primer if needed. As a contractor I found Bathroom and Kitchen Paint the most durable. It is designed for high moisture. Exterior paint is a close second for me.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Paint is dangerous to chickens only when it's still wet and offgassing. Just don't let the chickens into the coop until the paint smell is completely gone.

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I used No VOC primer and paint, glossy.

9. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:[​IMG] U have BATHROOMS in ur coop? How did u train ur chickens? [​IMG] [​IMG] BTW I have trained my cats [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  10. bakindance

bakindance Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Ontario Canada
    What about Whitewashing the inside? I am thinking it would keep insects down? Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by