what kind of paint does everyone use

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimmythechicken, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    my coop is very old it is more like a barn it is cinder block for the first 3ft then wood i want to pant it to make it alittle better at getting weathered.it is 30ft by 15ft.itis my daughters coop an she wants to paint it a purple color.haha should be cute

2. Hugerat

Hugerat Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    From what I read here many use color mistakes. Go to a big box hardware store and ask if they have any mistake colors on exterior paints.

3. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    great idea we will be hitting homecheapo tomorrow will ask them if they have any.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

We use exterior deck paint. Its nice and think, and coats everything well.

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I found a great $6/gallon grey exterior in the reject bin at the local hardware~! I didn't see any purple tho' Good luck!

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Mis-mixes rule! I buy them to paint my coops and bee boxes. I love the variety of colors I end up with.

7. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I used a good quality semigloss exterior. I figured it would hold up better and be scrubbable. My husband said we didn't need to paint the inside but I figured it would make it easier to clean.

I found a gallon of pale pink mis-tint at Lowes for $5.00 so the inside will be pale pink. For the outside, I spent a lot of time selecting *Just The Right Shade* of periwinkle. [​IMG] The nesting boxes will be a dark color to make them seem dark and cozy. Maybe Eggplant! [​IMG]

15'x30' will be a whole lotta purple, lol.

8. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i know they want to make it purple an then right the name of there farm in black an put black horse shoes all over it they are they call them selves horseshoe hill farm.haha should look neat

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use whatever color of semi-gloss exterior paint is in the OOPS! paint section of Lowe's and/or Home Depot that doesn't make my eyes cross when I think about seeing it all over my coop(s).

I got lucky and got a lovely shade of dove grey for the third coop I built. That went on the outside. I used an off-white tint - just a touch of yellow - for the interior.

For the first coup I built, I ran out of "eggshell" (which I thought was perfect for the A-Frame Coop!!!!!) and had to finish it with a pale pink.

10. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I'm pretty sure that if you choose a light-ish colored mis-mixed paint, they can remix it for you to get purple. It won't be perfect since they aren't starting with a fresh base, but it would be cheap...

BTW, if you can find it, exterior paint will hold up better than interior paint. Prime first if you can - it will make it last that much longer and seal in any cooties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by