what kind of paint is safe for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by herbsherbsflowers, Jul 3, 2008.

1. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    I've searched the archives and have not found any definitive answer. What kind of paint or stain should I use on the exterior of chicken tractor or coop? The chickens will have some contact with it but not much.

2. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bough just a behr flat exterior paint from home depot. None of them have grown a second head, a third wing, or anything like that.

If you're going to have it tinted, ask to see the paint before you take it home. I wanted kind of an off white going into tan. I got bleached out big bird yellow!!! "Oh I'm sorry sir, once it leaves the store it's unreaturnable." [​IMG]

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Exterior latex for me...I'd stay clear of the oil based stuff. It seems pretty toxic.

4. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Greene, RI
    TSC has a paint made by Valspar called Home & Ranch that says its non toxic/safe to use around livestock.
    I just painted mine using the brilliant red & white, looks great!

mskluck and pbchicken65 like this.
  5. FourIsWaltz

FourIsWaltz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2008
    Any paint you can buy will be fine. Some will stick to the wood longer than others, some will fade less, or chalk less, and there are many different colors. None are going to make a hen fall over dead after licking it.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use regular floor paint. It is much more durable, and it can be rained on, etc. It is much more durable than exterior paint.

mskluck likes this.
  7. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Lowes has a non-toxic paint that comes in "barn red" and "gray". Works good and covers great-the name escapes me but is located in the section with porch paints.

8. The Dude

The Dude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    MO
    Hi ! Everyone,
    I'm The newbie. Concerning paint, My ckicken
    coops roof is painted with KILZ a oil based paint
    and was wondering if this would be safe inside
    given ample time to dry with no fowl present ?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  9. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Kilz is fine. Long as it is dry.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Any kind, water or oil based.

Paint is a protective coating and forms a skin. Once the volatile elements evaporate out, it becomes inert.
    I prefer latex because of the water clean up.

There was some concern over paint with lead in it at one time, but it has been watchdogged out of existence and has been unavailable since 1978.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by