what kind of paint is safe for coop

herbsherbsflowers

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Covington, GA
I've searched the archives and have not found any definitive answer. What kind of paint or stain should I use on the exterior of chicken tractor or coop? The chickens will have some contact with it but not much.

I bough just a behr flat exterior paint from home depot. None of them have grown a second head, a third wing, or anything like that.

If you're going to have it tinted, ask to see the paint before you take it home. I wanted kind of an off white going into tan. I got bleached out big bird yellow!!! "Oh I'm sorry sir, once it leaves the store it's unreaturnable."
smack.gif

Any paint you can buy will be fine. Some will stick to the wood longer than others, some will fade less, or chalk less, and there are many different colors. None are going to make a hen fall over dead after licking it.

Hi ! Everyone,
I'm The newbie. Concerning paint, My ckicken
coops roof is painted with KILZ a oil based paint
and was wondering if this would be safe inside
given ample time to dry with no fowl present ?

Last edited:
Any kind, water or oil based.

Paint is a protective coating and forms a skin. Once the volatile elements evaporate out, it becomes inert.
I prefer latex because of the water clean up.

There was some concern over paint with lead in it at one time, but it has been watchdogged out of existence and has been unavailable since 1978.

Back
Top Bottom