What kind of paint is safe?

Desirai

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Alabama
What brand/flavor/whatever kind of paint is safe for chickens to paint my coop? Don't want anything that might poison my chickens, cats, dogs or any other creatures that may come in contact with it. Including bugs. Poisoned bugs = poisoned birds = poisoned hawks = dead hawks = scavenging creatures = dead scavenging creatures.... so on and so forth.

I used an exterior latex paint from Lowes on the inside and outside of my coop. Relax. My chickens are not dead and all are doing fine 1 1/2 years later. Yours will be fine too. I promise.
hugs.gif

Pretty sure it's the fumes that are the only concern with paint. If you can paint it and then let it sit a couple of days before the chickens live there, it will be fine.

LOL ok thats good to know. ;) Hubby and I have already agreed today is the day we are painting the whole inside of the hen house because the 3 week olds are getting LOUD and they really don't like being stuck in the brooder. They need more room... so its time to shift them to the barn and set up a bigger brooder for them. ;)

What brand/flavor/whatever kind of paint is safe for chickens to paint my coop? Don't want anything that might poison my chickens, cats, dogs or any other creatures that may come in contact with it. Including bugs. Poisoned bugs = poisoned birds = poisoned hawks = dead hawks = scavenging creatures = dead scavenging creatures.... so on and so forth.

LOL! When I first read this I thought, "How in the world is she getting her chickens to paint her coop for her???? What's the trick??? Extra mealworms?"
wink.png

Any modern day paint even if eaten will not contain lead. All paints when cured are basically inert, as in they are like eating pebbles of stone if chickens/children choose to eat it.

An oil paint takes much longer to dry and cure than an acrylic/latex/water base paint. Acrylic is your most common now a days so it will dry in less than 4 hours and cure exponentially (like concrete) in 28 days. If you've ever freshly painted a kitchen then you know not to wash it for a few days, after 3 days it's a light sponge wash, 7 days and you can scratch fingers or what not and shouldn't leave a mark, 14 days and moving furniture will leave small scuff marks, over 21 days and an impact or scratch will actually dent the substrate, usually sheet rock but in your case plywood. Yeah, 21 days of curing and it's rock solid.

Last edited:
On new exterior builds I put on 2 coats Alkyd-based Primer and one to two coats of a Acrylic latex paint. As for a brand name I like Benjamin Moore.

Alkyd-based primer Dry Time @ 77°F
– To Touch 4 – 6 Hour
– To Recoat Overnight

Chris

For my meat chickens tractor I used a lyme whitewash. I found instructions on the internet, bought a bag of hydrated lyme and went for it, (mix the lyme powder with water) even though my meat chicks won't be here till the end of April. It seems to be holding up really well, although it leaves a white dust on your hands when you touch it so I don't think I will do it for the coop, of course that will change if someone knows how to keep that from happening!

Back
Top Bottom