what kind of petting do your chickens like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by l'abeille, Nov 26, 2009.

1. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm new to chickens and just got my new 5 mo old BAs to sit in my lap. I know just how to pet a dog in ways they love but not sure with birds. What do chickens like and dislike?

2. CrazyPets16

CrazyPets16 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Well, we have 3 Buff Orpintons, and they like to stroked slowly down their back starting on their neck. Also short strokes on their chest.... [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh I'm sure they'll let you know...lol. Mine like soft strokes down the back and on their chests. Three of them also enjoy me gently "kneading" sections of feathers around their neck/shoulder area (kind of like you might do a dogs ears???)...

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Lulu likes to be scratched under the chin and around her ears. She closes her eyes and leans into it.

5. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Up under the chin and under the wings.

6. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    none [​IMG]

7. sillyaboutchickens

sillyaboutchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    NH
    We are still relatively new to chickens, but in the course of our research we visited many friends and farms with chickens. We also attended some chicken swaps. I remember one of the "more seasoned" chicken people teaching my children how to handle chickens and telling them that chickens "are not like dogs and cats" and not to approach them/touch them on the back because that is what a predator would do (how it would approach). A few times people told us to approach the chickens slowly and stroke the breast or underside of the chicken. Some of our chickens don't mind being petted on the back if we are holding them, but we have a few that don't seem to care for that at all.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My W/BW Ameraucanas love their muffs tickled.. It puts them to sleep.

9. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    mine don't want to be touched at all. they are semi wild. certainly do not let me pet them.

10. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    My silkie cockerel loves full body massages (especially underneath his wings), including his feet! Sometimes he makes little cooing noises and leans into me when I'm doing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by