What kind of predator can bite through a tin can?

Americana

Songster
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Dunnellon, Florida
I live in Central Florida. We have lots of predators, from foxes, skunks ,coyotes, black bears, raccoons, possums,bobcats, boars, and even an occasional wolf.We got gaters too. (I am sure I left some out!)
I bought a nice coop today from a guy in Citra Fl.
I told him I would have to do some work to the coop to make it predator proof.
he asked me what kinds of predators we have here. I told him
hmm.png
(He has no poultry)
(His shop, where I picked up the awesome coop, is in the woods.......I mean in the.....woods!)
J then said, " Maybe you can tell me what bit through the top of this milk can"
He has a cat that lives there and he puts the milk on her food.This was an unopened can.
When he showed it to me , I was like" HOLY CRAP!"

What kind of critter can do this?

!

Just to be sure... that is a standard sized can right?

If so it most likely is a canine, opossum or raccoon. Could also be a very young bear.
My guess would be canine (coyote, wolf, stray) if nothing else was disturbed, or very young bear if everything was disturbed.

Most opossum and coon's know where to get easier foods then a can. but if they are full sized they could do that damage.

I would totally say raccoon...they develop a taste for canned goods, and just about nothing will keep them out!...that or bear...I don't think opossums have the tenacity, dexterity, or jaw strength...

I would totally say raccoon...they develop a taste for canned goods, and just about nothing will keep them out!...that or bear...I don't think opossums have the tenacity, dexterity, or jaw strength...

Oh they have the Teeth and strength..... Trust me I got to see a full dental inspection when one fell out of my garage ceiling into my face.. a mear 3 inches away :eek:
Then once trapped it proceeded to warp the bars on the trap with its jaws.

They just tend to avoid humans if they can. coons are fed by people and so have learned people = food and well bears do what they dang well please :D

What I mean is that opossums are not terribly dexterous, and they have teeth designed more for crushing insects rather than tearing and opening items...unlike the robust teeth and tearing features and rounded skulls for more surface area for muscle to attatch to seen in a skull of a raccoon or a bear...their faces are elongated to the extreme...hence the inadequate muscle development in pinkies disallowing them to suckle (therefore having to attatch themselves to mother's pouch by swallowing the teat until weaning), and their muscle/bone structure is not really condusive to can opening like bears and coons
roll.png

I found this picture on promiselandranch.com

Here is a front view to show what I mean by less surface area for muscle attatchment leading to lessened jaw strength...

agassiztrading.com

and this one is a raccoon....you can really see the difference...the skull AND the teeth are far more robust, and you can see how much more leverage a skull design like this one would provide for tasks like opening cans...coupled with their oposable thumbs and amazing dexterity, hands down a coon (or brute force of a bear) in my opinnion, though I must say I lean towards coon simply cause I have no experience with bears...but ample experience with coons and opossums....

And a front view, just to show the difference

discover-southern-ontario.com

Sorry if I was unclear in my initial answer to the OP! I meant that though an opossum does have the jaw strength to break open things like skin and possibly tough roots, they don't really have the leverage or fortitude necissary to open a can...
hide.gif

Last edited:
What I mean is that opossums are not terribly dexterous, and they have teeth designed more for crushing insects rather than tearing and opening items...unlike the robust teeth and tearing features and rounded skulls for more surface area for muscle to attatch to seen in a skull of a raccoon or a bear...their faces are elongated to the extreme...hence the inadequate muscle development in pinkies disallowing them to suckle (therefore having to attatch themselves to mother's pouch by swallowing the teat until weaning), and their muscle/bone structure is not really condusive to can opening like bears and coons :rolleyes:

I found this picture on promiselandranch.com

Here is a front view to show what I mean by less surface area for muscle attatchment leading to lessened jaw strength...

agassiztrading.com

and this one is a raccoon....you can really see the difference...the skull AND the teeth are far more robust, and you can see how much more leverage a skull design like this one would provide for tasks like opening cans...coupled with their oposable thumbs and amazing dexterity, hands down a coon (or brute force of a bear) in my opinnion, though I must say I lean towards coon simply cause I have no experience with bears...but ample experience with coons and opossums....

And a front view, just to show the difference

discover-southern-ontario.com

Sorry if I was unclear in my initial answer to the OP! I meant that though an opossum does have the jaw strength to break open things like skin and possibly tough roots, they don't really have the leverage or fortitude necissary to open a can...:oops:

No offense taken!
Never thought about the leverage
and opossums was the bottom of my list of possibles :D

I haven't messed with a can of milk in years but if they are the metal cans like they used to be it was a very strong jawed critter. Just to press a hole in the can and not punch it took real jaw power. I wouldn't think a coon could do that, but maybe it could. A bobcat could.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Ole Rooster, the cans are still really thick! You may be right about the bobcat, but I think canine,
maybe a coyote, stray dog or wolf.Or even a black bear, but why wasn't the can crushed?That's what gets me!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom