What kind of predator did this????

MrsBall1127

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2017
My husband found most of our beloved pullets strewn across the lawn. Most were not eaten on, but a struggle was apparent. The predator tore off panels of the nest boxes.

We had a survivor who suffers only from a wound under the wing. She is doing well.

Looks like a 100% dog attack to me.

Dogs treat chickens like squeaky toys, and once the chicken stops squeaking the dog looses interest and quickly catches another chicken that will reward the dog with squawks of terror.

X3 on the dogs. Look at the size of the scratch marks on the siding. That was something pretty big.

Before this devolves into yet another thread about killing your neighbor's dog, I'll take the opportunity to mention that my neighbor's dog came to see about my birds, hit the electric fence, let out a yelp, went home and hasn't been back. That would be a really hot electric fence. Just saying.

Something got 2 of my hens night before last then came back last night, killed 4 of my 6 week old chicks & cleaned them down to the bone. We're now in the process of putting an electric fence up by putting insulators on the coop & the chicken yard made out of dog kennel panels. We have 2 trail cams set up & so far we see raccoons & one large cat stalking around the coops & yards.

I had a feral cat do this amount of damage a few years ago and I knows it was a cat because we caught it she would catch them then play with them ripping off feathers and even went into the Coop and ate 2 eggs all up she hurt 5 chickens (pekin bantams) killed 2 chicks. Thats why in Australia now there are laws about having your Cat wandering at night time and not being kept inside as it causes damage to native wildlife and breeding more cats which then become unwanted.

On the trail cam we have set up, distinctly shows a racoon walking around the coop & chicken yard, but nothing in it's mouth. It also shows a large, either black & white or dark gray & white, cat walking around the coop & chicken yard but nothing in it's mouth. Nothing else has been sighted on the trail cam.

Back
Top Bottom