What kind of predator would do this?

Thanks everyone. I didn't think it would be a coyote because everytime a coyote kills something they always howl for others to join in. It really wouldn't be that hard for a dog to come into their yard either.

I really love this forum. I read the messages on here and I sit here with a big smile and I love the way everyone tries to get along with each other plus this site is so helpful.

Quote:
we have coyotes and bobcats that kill fawns and smaller deer you can tell when it is cats they bury what they do not eat and come back later to eat more yote do not usually bury it they just come back later and eat more

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss! The predators that kill w/o taking the bodies away in our area are Racoons (they rip off heads) and Foxes (they get into a killing frenzy & kill as much as possible) and dogs (they do it for fun).
sad.png

That would be a dog. They kill playing they do not eat the birds. Other predators would have eaten the birds or at least parts of them. Sorry for her losses.

Last edited:
What about a fox? When I worked at the zoo the male & female Dik Diks were found dead in the morning...no sign of struggle, nothing eaten, just puncture wounds to the neck. A den of foxes was nearby (I had just seen baby foxes).
When I lived in La Mesa, a suburb of San Diego, I had a fox in my backyard. One day I saw it walking along the top of my 5 ft. chain link fence. I don't ever see foxes mentioned on BYC yet they're the ones always portrayed getting into the hen house.

Back
Top Bottom