What kind of quail should I get?

for eggs layer and get meat treat coturnix japonica,
for excelent taste of meat treat bobwhite.
For ornamental treat blue scale, gambel's, chinese button.

welcome-byc.gif
(Welcome to Quail)

For beginners it is recommended to get (even if you have (stretch the even) experience with chicken from before) old generation(?) quail which means Coturnix Quail and/or Button (Chinese Painted) Quail. The other birds such as Valley, Bobwhite, and Gambels, are known as new generation(?) birds. They have different temperament and issues and whatnot.

And to choose from the birds here are some Pros (I don't wanna say any Cons, unless you want me to
tongue.png
),

Pros for Coturnix:

-Lay around 300 eggs a year
-Easy to take care of
-Can't tolerate the cold
-Eat whatever you'll give em
-Breed and mature at a very fast pace
-(Other people please continue...)

Pros for Button:

-Small, and cute
-Clean food off of floor of aviary
-Has a sad but melodic sound (sounds like crying, but actually calling to find its pals)
-Lays yummy little eggs
-(Come on, just continue...)

Last edited:
1 more question can quail and chickens stay together? And 1 more how do u eat quail eggs? Do u scramble them hard boil them etc

I have to agree with how wonderful coturnix quail are. I just started this summer in quail. First batch I did were bobwhites. Found them to be very flighty and not very easy to interact with, ending up selling half and eating half of them at five months old with never getting an egg. Next got my coturnix, at exactly six weeks old they started laying. Since then I've hatched over one hundred chicks and sold or eaten over 10-15 dozen other eggs...all with only eight hens in less then three months of laying! They are a pleasure to deal with, very friendly and eat right out of my hands.

Last edited:
in indonesia, coturnix japonica is very common. They lay eggs very well. But quality taste from eggs and meat not good as bobwhite. It said from bob white breeder in my town.

Back
Top Bottom