What kind of rooster do I have here?

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
We were given a rooster today by a guy we know. The guy said he is a Cochin. I hadn't ever seen a Cochin with his coloring, but he sure is pretty. I looked at a bunch of pictures online and the one he looks closest to is a Silver Penciled Cochin.

Anybody recognize his type? Also, is there a way to estimate how old he is?

I hope he turns out to be nice, because if he is a Cochin, my dreams just came true. :)

Whew...we had bad storms this weekend and lost Internet for a while.

Anyway. Yay! Although I'm starting to wonder if he might be a Cochin crossed with something else, because he is kind of aggressive. But I found out that he has also been rehomed 3 times because nobody liked him. So maybe he's a Cochin with a really bad upbringing.

Whew...we had bad storms this weekend and lost Internet for a while.

Anyway. Yay! Although I'm starting to wonder if he might be a Cochin crossed with something else, because he is kind of aggressive. But I found out that he has also been rehomed 3 times because nobody liked him. So maybe he's a Cochin with a really bad upbringing.
He is a cochin. And though it is in cochin's nature to be sweet chickens, just because you get a mean one doesn't mean he isn't a cochin

Even a nice rooster can be made mean if you are mean to him, right?

Thanks! :D
yes, anything can be made mean. You just have to treat properly, same is true with all animals. Like great danes are known to be gentle giants, but if they are mistreated I am sure there attitude wouldn't be the same.

Some people say if treat roosters like pets, they become mean. Some say that if you make them respect you, they will never turn mean. Neither are proven and have no science behind them. There is still much research and studies to be done to fully understand animal behavior.

Back
Top Bottom