What kind of rooster is this?

EstlHope

Hatching
Sep 1, 2022
My friend found a random rooster wandering in the woods. The rooster was friendly, and obviously part of a backyard flock somewhere. He hasn't been able to figure out where the chicken came from, as he wasn't close to any houses at the time. He's asked me for help with identifying the rooster breed so that he can post it around and see if anyone claims it. I'm only a year or so into chicken keeping though. Does anyone know what breed this is? Is there anything else you can tell about the rooster from this picture that might be helpful in reuniting him with his flock, or if that can't be done, having good information to help him find a good home?

@Tonyroo This may be a dumb question, but I thought that the wyandottes were all laced? This rooster looks like it is a solid color?

Hey...you took my rooster:lau

I think @Tonyroo is correct. Here is a picture of my Rhode Island Red cross. I believe RIR and Barred Rock.

The black one in the picture I also believe is part Barred Rock.

They were both hatched on the homestead.

Attachments

• RIR_BarredRockCross.png
    RIR_BarredRockCross.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Posture doesn't look right for a Rhode island red. Plus there a single comb breed.
Agreed extremely poor conformation for a RIR, but the same could be said about a Red Wyandotte. Although single comb RIR are the more common, the breed also comes in a rose combed variety. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the bird being a cross bred.

Back
Top Bottom