What kind of rooster(s) do you have?

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
Post your rooster pictures and or tell us what breed and about him/them!!
My buff silkie rooster mix
My easter egger rooster...I have a a couple more silkie roos and some bantam mix

Pecker, so named because he pecked at you as a chick, he turned into a roo and well...it fits. He is a Blue Red Laced Wyandotte.

Not the best picture, but he is a pretty boy. When he was going through his molt and lost the neck feathers - you would swear he was a good sized turkey. BIG BOY.

This is Dr. Bunsen (named after the the blind Dr. who kept blowing Beaker up in the Muppet Show). He is a NB silkie. He is a snuggler and has quite the rooster dance for his "chicks". Sadly, he has to be segregated from the the rest of the feathered mob, as Pecker is not a fan of his dance.

Vocal critter.

Zorro

He is the biggest sweetheart, both to people and the hens. He's about 8 months old now and has never done anything even remotely aggressive. And to think I almost got rid of him, I'm so glad I changed my mind at the last minute. His main duty bestowed upon him by the alpha roo was getting the hens into the coop at dusk.

Shetan

He's a good boy, but did require a few "lessons" in respecting me
wink.png
He's the alpha roo of the two of them and really dislikes the color blue and ball caps. He's a character for sure, and he's the one I keep an eye on if I have to grab a hen or something.

Both of my boys are Australorps.

I have a 9ish month old Polish Crested rooster, Afro Circus as our daughter named him from the Madagascar 3 song.
Poor guy has been bald of the back part of his crest since we got him, as at his previous home, the big man on campus plucked them all, and we have been fighting the hens to stop since then. If we can't get it fixed over winter with the BluKote and grease, I am going to separate him for a couple of weeks when it warms up so we can get some growth which will hopefully be good enough to be left alone. If it doesn't work, then I am going to make him a yarmulke and call him Jewish, or possibly a party hat with some nifty little strings for the girls to pluck instead! Poor guy! lol
He so far is a super sweet guy and puts up with our slathering of cream and such every evening without so much as a fight or squeal, so I certainly would like him to look better and not have this issue!

This is Mister Roo, got him a couple months ago, he's about 18 months old and not a mean bone in his body.
He's a Dark Brahma mix mutt.

Here's Mister Roo with Rooster Junior, one of his offspring out of probably a Cochin/Cochin mix hen.
Rooster Junior is about 6 months old, seems mellow so far and looks like he's going to be the spitting image of his dad.

This is Mister Roo, got him a couple months ago, he's about 18 months old and not a mean bone in his body.
He's a Dark Brahma mix mutt.

Here's Mister Roo with Rooster Junior, one of his offspring out of probably a Cochin/Cochin mix hen.
Rooster Junior is about 6 months old, seems mellow so far and looks like he's going to be the spitting image of his dad.

He is a beauty! I hadn't originally wanted a rooster, but he needed a home...I really want something like yours, who can father babies that won't mess up egg production like I would think a Polish would, maybe I am wrong... But I feel bad getting rid of or culling our boy, since he is such a good boy. Plus we don't have any broody hens anyhow! lol
I think I am rather scared of the big guys like yours, too.

He is a beauty! I hadn't originally wanted a rooster, but he needed a home...I really want something like yours, who can father babies that won't mess up egg production like I would think a Polish would, maybe I am wrong... But I feel bad getting rid of or culling our boy, since he is such a good boy. Plus we don't have any broody hens anyhow! lol
I think I am rather scared of the big guys like yours, too.
He is, isn't he? I didn't really want a rooster right away but when I found this flock, my first, the owner said he would never be aggressive....which I didn't believe until I went to see them and when she cornered him, picked him up and held him while I petted him, I was convinced.

He's never caused me a minute of concern. He is big and if he was aggressive at all, I would be scared too. I don't handle him, he really doesn't want to be touched, but comes up to me when I go in the coop or run to see if I have anything tasty, eats very gently out of my hand and calls the girls over. He's not rough with the hens, tho a couple have some small bare spots. The perfect rooster, I got lucky!

He is, isn't he? I didn't really want a rooster right away but when I found this flock, my first, the owner said he would never be aggressive....which I didn't believe until I went to see them and when she cornered him, picked him up and held him while I petted him, I was convinced.

He's never caused me a minute of concern. He is big and if he was aggressive at all, I would be scared too. I don't handle him, he really doesn't want to be touched, but comes up to me when I go in the coop or run to see if I have anything tasty, eats very gently out of my hand and calls the girls over. He's not rough with the hens, tho a couple have some small bare spots. The perfect rooster, I got lucky!
That does sound like a great guy!! We don't handle our guy at all, unless it is for health care.
Our rooster is very similar to yours, but he gets extremely scared if you corner him in the pen, to the point I worry he could hurt himself or fly out, since he is so lightweight. I hate cornering during the day for that reason. I just got the proper fishing net to do the work next time it is needed, so we shall see how that is in the future. Right now I just get them when they are in the coop, if anyone needs care.
He doesn't really check me for food, nor does he take it from my hand; he just lets the girls know I brought it in, or as I like to call it- he takes credit for the tasty treats *I* give them, lol. And no bare spots for us, but he is much lighter than your guy, so that might help as well!

Back
Top Bottom