What kind of sand for dirt baths

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by froghollowfarm, Mar 15, 2012.

1. froghollowfarm

froghollowfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    Does it matter what kind of sand I use to create a sandbox in my chicken pen for dirt baths? Is beach sand too fine? Is ground stone dust too coarse?

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I don't think I'd use the really fine sand, I'd be afraid they'd get the grit in their eyes. I don't use sand at all. I use dirt mixed with DE. The girls seem to like it just fine...with the added bonus that it can go right into the compost pile.....

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

We just let our hens scratch around in the dirt and make their own dust spa. Chickens have been doing that for years without our help.

1 person likes this.
  4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    We use "washed sand".

5. I live here

[​IMG]

I just pull my truck up and load it up! Free.

6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Our girls love the mulch pile.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Mine are the same way! I have made them dust baths with top soil, sand, DE, etc, and they always go back to the mulch around my deck! :rolleyes:

8. Johnboy78

Johnboy78 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    In the summer mine took over the shallow pits the dogs had scratched out to lie under the bushes.
    Then they scratched out a few more under other favorite bushes.
    This winter they attacked the flower box, filled with potting soil, and have emptied it about halfway.
    Then they walk around with the white bits of perlite stuck on their feathers For some reason they
    don't feel the need to shake off the dirt once they are done.

9. heavypetting

heavypetting Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    We have used playsand and hydrated lime powder for years with great results. Our run is covered ,it stays nice and dry so there is no poopy odor. I just rake the sand every few days to turn under the poop. We use a mixture of roughly 10% lime to sand add more lime if its stinky. The girls love to dust bathe in it everyday.

10. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    +1. My chickens have claimed three different spots for dust bathing -- under a shed and under two different trees. Didn't have to build anything. ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by