What kind of sand for dirt baths

froghollowfarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Does it matter what kind of sand I use to create a sandbox in my chicken pen for dirt baths? Is beach sand too fine? Is ground stone dust too coarse?

I don't think I'd use the really fine sand, I'd be afraid they'd get the grit in their eyes. I don't use sand at all. I use dirt mixed with DE. The girls seem to like it just fine...with the added bonus that it can go right into the compost pile.....

In the summer mine took over the shallow pits the dogs had scratched out to lie under the bushes.
Then they scratched out a few more under other favorite bushes.
This winter they attacked the flower box, filled with potting soil, and have emptied it about halfway.
Then they walk around with the white bits of perlite stuck on their feathers For some reason they
don't feel the need to shake off the dirt once they are done.

We have used playsand and hydrated lime powder for years with great results. Our run is covered ,it stays nice and dry so there is no poopy odor. I just rake the sand every few days to turn under the poop. We use a mixture of roughly 10% lime to sand add more lime if its stinky. The girls love to dust bathe in it everyday.

We just let our hens scratch around in the dirt and make their own dust spa. Chickens have been doing that for years without our help.

+1. My chickens have claimed three different spots for dust bathing -- under a shed and under two different trees. Didn't have to build anything. ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom