What kind of sand to use in coop

wellclass

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 28, 2014
I purchased multipurpose sand at Home Depot, Sakrete brand. when I posted a photo on a chicken page several members said it is the wrong kind of sand, I will change it if I need to just don't want to waste it, if it is okay. If I do need to change it, can I put it in the run or should I just move it to another location in the yard, I put in 4 big 60 pound bags, that was a lot of lifting and work. What say you chicken experts?

I can't seem to find that particular product on HD website......but as long as it's washed and kiln dried (like the Quikrete brand Fine Sand) it should be fine.

Did they say why it was the wrong kind?

I purchased multipurpose sand at Home Depot, Sakrete brand. when I posted a photo on a chicken page several members said it is the wrong kind of sand,
That's just nonsense. Chickens are raised all around the world on every type and size particle of dirt/sand just fine. Those members have too much time on their hands.....

I used playground sand in my dust box for them, and they are doing just fine bathing in it...and eating a bit of it

If it is Sakrete sand with polymers added so it hardens when wet…then if should not be used. We used it to build a paver patio, you mist it with water and it changes to a concrete like product except the glue is a plastic compound.

If it is just sand, then not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom