What kind of sand?

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
Hey, so I think my chickens have mites. The dirt is really dry here in Atlanta lately, so they aren't really ever dustbathing. So I want to add a small sandbox in the run so they can dustbathe. What kind of sand isn't toxic to chickens?

You need not mess around with mites...they will kill your chickens. Go to walmart, buy a canister of sevin dust for $10 and dust your chickens ASAP. Dust their the insides of their house,roosts,nests. Repeat dusting everything including your chickens in 10 days. Good luck!

Thanks--- I already did that, tho! Lol I have done all that an even seen a vet. I just thought a playsand box would help, too.

So what kind?

We filled the sandbox for our cluckers with the "contractor sand" from Lowes. It's a mix of sizes in the bag and works great. Cost is about $5-$6 for a 50# bag and two bags work good in a 24"x24"x6" tall box. The level isn't so high inside they can throw the sand out.

Larry

Sometimes three or four of the girls will be in the box at once!!

Last edited:
In my dustbath areas. I refill with sand, Stall Dry, Extra dirt (clay) from the yard, compost, and wood ashes. Pretty much whatever is available. Sometimes they will use it, sometimes they go for the muddy areas instead.

Imp

i wasnt sure of what kind of and to get when i decided to lay my run either. in fact i didnt know there was more than one kind. shoot, play sand, industrial sand, all purpose sand... so i bought three bags of every kind of sand they had, mixed em all together, and VOILA! works like a dream.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom