what kind of scale

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by noahsark, Oct 7, 2010.

1. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    whats the cheapest best way to measure your meaties? Im on amazon and theres like 5000 scales..good grief!

2. CatsvsDogs

CatsvsDogs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    NW Washington
    Quote:Yeah I second this. Needing something by Sunday.

3. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I went to walmart and bought a fish scale that goes to 50lbs. You can hang a bucket, check the weight and add the chicken and subtract the weight of the bucket.

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I read a suggestion somewhere of the same type scale with one of those " green shopping bags " ; I think they were referring to the reusable grocery bags you can often buy in the checkout lane so you no longer have to waste paper and plastic . I like the idea because the bag and handles are pretty strong and hooking the handles would pretty much close the bag .

5. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    i wanted something that i could quickly clip on feet (live weight hanging upside down) but the standard fish scales seem to go up to 50 lbs which means there scale is really corse

It's really hard to read when your trying to determine the difference between 6 and 8lbs when a 10lb range is like 1/4" in length

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
  7. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I use a fish scale too since we already had it for canning. It may have to get misplaced though because I like the looks of the digital one. [​IMG]

8. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i have a postal scale but im not sure i want to use that. we bought a baby scale at an auction( from a doctors office) but i think that that might take too long [​IMG]

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

The fish scales are nice. I got one from Cabelas. They have a hook on them, and you can even measure live weight by hanging upside down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by