What kind of scratch do you use for your chickens?

My chickens ignore their feed ( they are on layer pellets) ( they used to be on pullet grower). I started hand feeding them whole rolled oats (same ones that I make for my kids on the stove for breakfast) and now they literally don’t blink an eyelid when I fill their feeder. They only want oats. Is this normal?
They like all sorts of melon and will peck at apple but I haven’t had much luck with other veggie scraps.
I have a giant bag of those black oil sunflower seeds so I’ll try those.
Before the snow came I’d regularly help myself to my husbands left over fishing worms but only a couple paid any attention. What type of chicken doesn’t want a worm??

My birds like oats too. Try a little oats and put some feed in it. Are you giving the oats warm?
On cold mornings I give my birds oatmeal and scratch mixed with their feed. I just add hot water and mix then let cool a little before I take it to them. Sprinkle some mealworms on top and they're in heaven.

ETA I try to keep their treats to a minimum and oats won't replace the nutrition they get from feed.

I get my scratch from a local mill they call it Chicken Delight which is great as it is half scratch and half pellets which I toss a couple scoops out with their always filled on demand feeder. It contains BOSS, millet, whole and crackled corn, peas, wheat berries, whole and rolled oats, safflower seeds and my flock just loves it.

My chickens ignore their feed ( they are on layer pellets) ( they used to be on pullet grower). I started hand feeding them whole rolled oats (same ones that I make for my kids on the stove for breakfast) and now they literally don’t blink an eyelid when I fill their feeder. They only want oats. Is this normal?
They like all sorts of melon and will peck at apple but I haven’t had much luck with other veggie scraps.

Oats and some fruit isn't a balanced diet for chickens. You really do want them eating their feed, with other things as the occasional treat. Most chickens don't love pellets though. Have you tried wetting the pellets to see if that makes it more appealing? Or you could just switch back to the grower feed if they were readily eating that, and just provide calcium on the side.

I found a game bird food that's 19 pct protein. Expensive, but I don't feel that I'm diluting their layer feed so much. Corn is down the ingredients list instead of first. The birds love, especially the roosters.

No, no, they eat their feed at some point, because I am going through it fast enough. Its 18% protein. They only get some fruit scraps once a week at most, and a handful or two of oats each day (to feed 7 of them) just because I want to keep that close contact with them, and its fun for my kids. I'd say 90% or more of what they eat is their layer feed. I'm just surprised they dont act "hungry" when I fill their dish ,like my cat does.

No, no, they eat their feed at some point, because I am going through it fast enough. Its 18% protein. They only get some fruit scraps once a week at most, and a handful or two of oats each day (to feed 7 of them) just because I want to keep that close contact with them, and its fun for my kids. I'd say 90% or more of what they eat is their layer feed.

Thanks for clarifying, I misunderstood then! I thought they weren't eating the pellets at all and that you were substituting oats instead. Sounds like you have a good balance between feed and treats going.

Back
Top Bottom